e-signal SLOW charts

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by TonySanDiego, Dec 9, 2002.

1. E-signal is quite snappy this morning. No problems at all.

Keep feeding the hamsters and we'll be fine. :D

#41     Dec 11, 2002
  2. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Not sure I'm 100% clear on what you're describing but if you collect intraday data on a #F symbol over X number of days, you might be hitting the roll-over period and hence see different results between #F and the current month.

If you're saying you collect XX number of ticks on ES#F at one moment and XX number of ticks a bit later that day, how far off are the two values? Small differences ( less than 1% for ex ) are usually a result of servers saving data at slightly different time periods ( off by split seconds ). If you are seeing large differences, I'm not sure what that would be attributed to. Also, are we talking "ticks" or "bars"?

If you'd like us to look into it further, please note as many specific details as possible and e-mail me at sjohnson@esignal.com and we'll dig into it. We'll need your customer ID or eSignal username as well.

Thanks,

#42     Dec 11, 2002
  3. Quah

Quah

I guess what I'm seeing are slight differences in the ticks - maybe one server has more than another - or different ones.

Which I guess really bring me to a question I've had for a while - and this really isn't an Esignal only question - but with everyone starting to provide the ability to create constant tick charts, where is the level of precision? I mean, from Esignal's point-of-view, does it make sense to use a, for example, 40 tick chart to trade? 20 tick? 100 tick? Or is the precision of the feed not there for that level of detail?

#43     Dec 11, 2002
  4. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Not being a sophisticated trader as many here are, I hazzard to say what you "should" be doing but I can give a somewhat technical perspective. We try to keep the servers as in sync as possible. With heavily traded issues like the emini, it's a challenge at times.

As a tick hits our tick servers, it gets time-stamped. If ticks hit different servers milliseconds apart, it can create differences as each bar is created. From our testing and in working closely with a variety of users, we've not detected significant differences but I don't have a specific number of precision for you.

We continue to look at adding the time-stamp more "up-stream" so the servers can be even more synchronized. The problem currently is that passing that time-stamp for millions of ticks each day has significant processing and bandwidth ramifications. I hope that helps.

Perhaps others can offer their perspective as well.

Thanks,

#44     Dec 11, 2002
  5. Bad news,

Daily charts are REAL SLOW AGAIN.

Tech support suggested 2 things.

Install the program on C drive instead of the D drive where it is now. (no problem)

AND possibly only run 4 charts. WHAT!?... totally unacceptable.
    I will do an experiment next time I see slow daily charts and see if using only 4 charts cures the problem.

Oh yeah, I can download the new BETA version to see if that helps.

This whole thing is sorta discouraging.

:(

#45     Dec 16, 2002
  6. Whamo

Whamo

Tony,

With those suggestions it sounds like they are just trying to keep you busy...

#46     Dec 16, 2002
  7. egusc

egusc

I signed up for esignal last week, because of the new IB deal. Esignal's datafeed has been has been very fast for me. Charts download instantly. I live in orange Co. calif, just north of you. Maybe you could move up here.

Good luck tony

#47     Dec 16, 2002
  8. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

I pulled-up a few daily charts today at the open and had no problems at all. Each filled-in within a second or so. Not sure if our other testers were online at the open today or not but I'll check. Here's what I think we know so far:

Clearly, some sort of issue exists between your system and our servers.

By in large, it appears most customers are able to pull-up charts w/o problems and our internal testing has not been able to replicate.

A few other customers have reported similiar problems but sporadically and we haven't found a pattern between those users yet.

We'll check what server you were connected to today and take a closer look at that one.

Tech Analysis, how did your system operate today?

Thanks

#48     Dec 16, 2002
  9. Slow - no daily charts at the open. "No Data" and "Receiving . . ." in the status box, from the open until about 30 minutes later.

I need to e-mail Andy Smith my current layout / charts. I'll do it today - maybe there's something in there he can see is causing the problem.

Learning MetaStock has consumed every waking moment of my life the last week or so :)

#49     Dec 16, 2002
  10. Just wanted to let eSignal know I have slowness pulling up charts several times a day. It happens randomly during the day somtimes taking more than 1 minute to pull up a chart. I have done all the tests on my machine and my ISP and everything is good on my end. It seems to be a server problem on eSignals end. Maybe one server is fine but certain servers probably get backed up at certain times of the day. When I try to call tech support to explain the problem I hang up after waiting for more than 15 minutes. By the time they pick up the problerm has usually corrected itself. This software is extremely unreliable and I will probably cancel my account soon if eSignal does not improve the slow chart problems.

#50     Dec 16, 2002