e-signal SLOW charts

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by TonySanDiego, Dec 9, 2002.

1. E-signal did a little better this morning, but was still slow at the open on daily charts. Took 2 or 3 mins to get them up.

At e-signal tech support suggestion, I checked my computer performance while the dailys were struggling to get up on the chart. My computer was idling along using about 10% of it's power.

I also did a tracert during thier struggle.. Took only a few hops, and none over 30 msec.

So folks, it ain't my computer or ISP.

I will continue to look at the problem.

If others have any of these slow chart experiences, please chime in. I am not sure e-signal is totally convinced they have a problem yet.

#21     Dec 10, 2002
  2. Tony I've got your same problems. I also check tracerts, etc and in the first 30-45 minutes of market open I can't get daily charts worth a damn.

This is the second cable ISP that has shown the same problems, and with 2 different cable modems and network cards.

This is NOT a problem at my end as all my other apps run fine. If it's not esignal's problem then why just during the heavy times of the markets do we have problems all of a sudden?

It's not the software because today I'm running Metastock off the esignal Data Manager and it's still happening so it has to be datafeed-related.

#22     Dec 10, 2002
  3. I use DSL.

The tracert's were done at the very same time as the charts WEREN'T coming up. Like I said the hops were few and quite quick.

I am fairly sure something is amiss on e-signal's side of things.

Keep harping on them, maybe we can get them dialed in here soon.

#23     Dec 10, 2002
  4. Could be a problem just that the esignal servers are overloaded and non-responsive during peak loads. That should be pretty easy for esignal to diagnose - if they're pegging CPU and/or outbound router or network bandwidth during peak loads, it should be obvious (although they might not want to admit it to the customer base).

An alternative angle - even though you're using Metastock, the esignal data manager is still the common piece of software for any software using the esignal feed. So having the problem with Metastock too doesn't mean there isn't a problem on your end.

It's just that the problem on your end might be some more complex problem with the data manager itself. Like it gets wrapped up in its underwear because the servers are slow (although from esignal's point of view they might still see them as responsive - just slower). Poorly handled timeout/retry logic in the data manager software could exacerbate a slow server situation and possibly render the data manager effectively blocked.

#24     Dec 10, 2002
  5. I've come across this from time to time. Sometimes it can take a minute or so to get the charts populated, especially if you have tick charts that are preset to have 3 days of data rather than setting them to be dynamic. Doing things like that can make your startup download process several times longer.

Of course if there were internet problems with one of the telcos, then this sort of delay can definitely happen. The data server downloads a huge amount of data. It pegs my bandwidth for quite sometime when I startup.

#25     Dec 10, 2002
  6. Just to check the obvious here. Make sure your chart is set with auto scaling clicked on. Most people will end up with auto scaling turned off during the day, if they manually adjust a chart. Of course when you exit and save, then your chart is now saved with auto scaling off and you may not see the bars on your chart when you open esignal the next day.

#26     Dec 10, 2002
  7. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Hi Tony,

After you called into Tech Support yesterday, we traced the server that you were connected to our SLC facilities. We did find a problem with our SLC history servers, took them off line, thus reconnecting anyone logged on to other servers, and put in place a fix. As a suggestion for quicker response, please call into Tech Support upon seeing this so that we can trace your connection. We monitored your session today and saw that you were logged into our Hayward servers, which were not experiencing any problems.

However, you still see sluggish or no daily charts in the morning, which is now our immediate concern. In reviewing your account, I see you are on the latest release (7.1 build 500) posted on our web site. Do you experience freezing of the cpu on interval charts during fast markets? We have a known issue of freezing with that version and have a fix in the latest beta that is posted to eSignal Central.

I have done a lot of testing at market open over the last month due to the issue of freezing, but I must admit, I never tested daily charts, nor have we received complaints about daily charts. Tomorrow, I and others at eSignal will do some testing on the daily's to see what happens. Do you use interval charts at all? How about indicators, do you have quite a few in place? Custom formula's turned on? If you'd like to share your layout with me, I'd be happy to test that at the open as well. Feel free to email me your files or you could post them to my file share at eSignal Central (Andys Group).

Send me an email and let me know how I can best help going forward to resolve this problem.

Thanks,
    Andy S.
    eSignal Support

#27     Dec 10, 2002
  8. Oftentimes the chart just simply times out with "No Data" in the status box. Result? A blank chart that has to be individually refreshed, and many times it won't populate even after ctrl-clicking the green status box..

Refreshing each chart is also not possible for those of us who overlap charts and then have to re-click all the charts downstream of the ones that aren't populated to properly re-overlap them.

eSignal is well-aware of this problem as I've seen it posted here before as well as at Yahoo and other charting sites.

There is a bandwidth problem of some kind at market peak times. Whether it's at their tick server farms, the data manager or whatever else, it needs to be fixed because it makes esignal unusable for chart surfing until the market settles down at 10:15 or so. By that time what the hell good is it?

The workaround if you trade a regular basket of stocks is to "pre-load" the tickers before the bell, then the local cache stores all the data elements. However if you should decide to enter some new ticker after then, you're screwed and tatooed.

CPU usage is still low - that's not the problem.

Chuck, Scott, anyone have any input?

#28     Dec 10, 2002
  9. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

As Andy indicated, we're going to start testing every morning on this specific issue so we can try to replicate.

Once we conduct more testing, we should know quite a bit more.

Thanks,

#29     Dec 10, 2002
  10. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Hi Tech Analysis,

Can you shoot me a private email at asmith@esignal.com? I'd like to get more information about your setup. Once I have your email address, I'll send you a short questionnaire to help get me started.

As in the case with TonySanDeigo, at the point you're experiencing the problem is the best time to contact our LiveRep or Tech Support phone service. We're happy to also respond to the boards, but with it being several hours afterwards, it' tough to trouble shoot.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Andy S.
    eSignal Support
    asmith@esignal.com

#30     Dec 10, 2002