E-mini slippage

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Alexandre, Apr 12, 2006.

what's the maximum ES size you feel comfortable trading without experiencing slippage

1. between 50 to 100 contracts

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. between 100 to 200

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. between 200 to 300

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. between 300 to 400

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. between 400 to 500

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. between 500 to 600

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. between 600 to 700

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. between 700 to 800

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. between 800 to 900

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. above 900

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  1. duard

duard

Seems like sometimes order flow goes "backward" in the ES which is to say size is going countertrend DURING A MEANINGFUL TREND. I attribute this to offsetting options and/or arbing cash and/or arbing other indexes.

If you spend enough time watching the tape you can see the difference. Some are definitely loading the DOM and working the ticks, whereas others wait for stops to get run or key reference points.

If you figure some consistently take money out of the market then in a zero sum game that money has to come from somewheres.

#41     Apr 13, 2006
  2. romik

romik

If one is trading 100 lots, what argument might he have to support a limit order at high liquidity times? It is unlikely for that order to be filled successfully at desired price, if at all. If my objective is to squeeze a point or 2 at times when 150 lots get filled every second (average), well, I just want to get filled at market personally.

#42     Apr 13, 2006
  3. that's indeed my approach now after some disappointment with limit orders.

#43     Apr 13, 2006
  4. romik

romik

Good on you Sasha

#44     Apr 13, 2006
  5. 1000

Does it depend/matter if the opposite side is taken or not?

#45     Apr 13, 2006
  6. ====================

Since the original question was limited to ES liquid times;
    simply prefer my price ,thier time, limit orders pre planned targets.
    And in a good move, limit orders works fine there also

However i dont try to pick tops /bottoms, in that case ,
    market orders or limit orders may slip/not fill
    & are more likely to slip , maybe more that that .25
    :cool:

#46     Apr 15, 2006
  7. romik

romik

Do you use DOM? I assume that you do, but anyhow. You will be able to see limit orders on both sides (bid/ask). In principle a Market Order is given priority over a limit order, depending on how many lots you are to place at market you should get filled immediately at best prices, don't forget that it is Globex (for eminis) that manages the matching process. So assuming that most traders on ET trade no more than 100 lots in ES for example, should have a maximum slippage of .50, but when placing a market order you will reduce the chances of getting higher slippage watching prices on the DOM. You have probably seen it when there is .50 spread on ES, that would be the ideal time to get filled with higher slippage. I trade 15 lots max at the moment and have always been filled with .25 slippage, no more.

#47     Apr 15, 2006
  8. 1000

romik, don't know if this is a silly question, but are lots from one platform/broker equivalent to another, and do they equate to some underlying number of shares/price?

#48     Apr 15, 2006
  9. romik

romik

Do you mean to say whether my platform might show different amounts of orders compared to yours? The answer to that is - it shouldn't be. The orders you are seeing come from the exchange, not your broker. Though, depending on the efficiency of your broker's system used/your internet connection and some other factors, there might be latency, resulting in slower order fills and higher slippage than what you are seeing on the screen.

I didn't understand the second part of your question, sorry.

EDIT: That's why I do advise, if trading short time frames, getting the right tools. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of higher slippage.

#49     Apr 15, 2006
  10. 1000

Just wondered if a lot was bought, would it have to be closed before expiration, or if taken to expiration, would there be an underlying physical swap of some sort?

#50     Apr 15, 2006