E-mini S&P mental lapse

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by El OchoCinco, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Hey folks, I am having a mental fart today and wanted to ask a question.

What is the delta for the E-mini S&P futures, the current one being the September contract. I just saw something at ToS that showed a delta of .5 and I cannot find it again.

Does this contract have a delta of .5 or was I staring at my screen too long?

Sorry but my brain is just in park today.

Phil

2. Index multiplier is indeed $50.

3. I know, I was asking about the DELTA, if anyone knows?

Phil

4. Phil,

ES would have a delta of .5 versus the full sized contract (the big contract has a multiplier of 100 and the small one has a multiplier of 50). However if you are trading ES options then of course ES has a delta of one against whatever the options delta is.

Thanks for all you help in the past

5. Thanks for the response. Just to make sure I am following cause I was up late last night, the ES would have a delta of .5 to the index such that a 1 point move in the S&P500 would move the ES .50? ThinkorSwim is showing the ES having a delta of $50. Since 1 point on the E-mini is $50 is it saying a delta of 1.0 exists literally but the $$ value is only a $50 change in the future or what?

I am mapping out something and I am just not doing something right.

Sorry if this seems silly but I am just in reverse today...

Phil

6. newbunch

newbunch

7. newbunch

newbunch

A 1 point move in the S&P moves the ES 1 point, which is $50 per contract.

8. THANK YOU! That is exactly what was showing but my pistons were not connecting. Days like these I should not even operate a vehicle LOL. <Feeling dumb>

So, a 1 point move in the S&P moves the ES 1 point, which is $50 per contract. Could not get my mind out of options mode.

I appreciate the answer.

Phil

9. Well, the ES delta is 100, all futs have deltas=100... but obviously it's moot as there is no reference to scale unless we use the index multiplier, which is $50.

10. Sorry, I should know this stuff cold. (I don't trade either product)

#10     Aug 22, 2005