E-mini S&P beginners question

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by ddmc, Aug 15, 2005.

1. ddmc

ddmc

Im considering switching from equities to trading the S&P e-mini. Im just wondering how contracts could you trade using IB, with an account balance of 50K and possibly holding the positions overnight?

2. Trent

Trent

How about checking IB's site? its all there.

Trent

3. YOU ASKED THE WRONG AND RECIPE FOR DISASTER QUESTION...HOW MANY CONTRACTS. APPARENTLY U HAVEN'T TRADED EMINI'S...NEVER TEST WITH REAL MONEY AND NEVER TRADE MORE THAN 1 CONTRACT UNTIL U MAKE MONEY CONSISTENTLY AND I MEAN ALMOST ALWAYS...U HAVE A 5% CHANCE TO DO THAT WITH EMINI'S...NOW GO AHEAD AND THROW UR MONEY AT IT....UR ACCOUNT WILL TELL U IF I'M CORRECT............I DON'T CARE IF I'M CORRECT, I AM ONLY TRYING TO WARN U OF THE FACTS.....STUDY A FEW THOUSAND HOURS, THROW AWAY EVERYTHING U LEARNED TRADING EQUITIES, AND U HAVE A CHANCE TO SURVIVE WITHOUT ACCOUNT IMPLOSION. IF I CAN GIVE ONE TIDBIT..... TRADE WITH THE TREND.......BUY LOW AND SELL HIGH IN THE CHANNEL.......BEST WISHES AND HAPPY TRADING....

4. porgie
    good advice, but come on , buy low sell high ?
    Hahhaha, why don't you just tell them to invest in S&P 500 for 8% yearly returns :)

5. 12

6. Ebo

Ebo

You should be on the road to wealth flipping 100 lots with a $500/car daytrading margin/performance bond.

If you are wrong, it's only a mere $1250 a tick!

7. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

lol

:D

seriously - i wouldnt even bother with es. its a bird house.

if youve screwed up on equities and cant meet pdt requirements, then id look at other futures. id start with bonds or the 10 yr. volatility on these is about the same now as es.

failing that - if you want volatility, id look at ec or er2.

8. Why do you regard ES as a birdhouse?

It's the most delicious thing I've traded since I stopped being primarily a trader of stocks...

9. Truff

Truff

Disregard FRED, he's head cheerleader for the refco pro platform. enough said

10. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

lol lol lol.

not really truff - just makes me crack up when some guy screws up because he hasnt even bothered to read the manual!

ive had no issues with pro at all. ive never used tt so cant make a comparison.

as for es - each to their own i guess. just not my choice. for the volatility youre better of in the bonds - larger tick size - so if you can make it in es then youll cream it in the bonds. if you like vol, then there are again better markets (obviously)

#10     Aug 17, 2005