E-mini Rookie Trading Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by bronks, May 30, 2002.

1. Banjo

Banjo

It's the way IB list it, it's just one trade
    the first and third line 's are the trade. A bit confusing to some one who hasn't seen it before.

#41     Jun 3, 2002
  2. Banjo

Banjo

Should probably elaborate,the second and fourth lines are the closing price. The report system is saying that if he went short and held till the close he would have $300 profit. The system says he then went long, not acknowlrdging that it was the cover of his short, and would have lost $270 into the close. Very strange system.

#42     Jun 4, 2002
  3. Cesko

Cesko

Got it now. Thanks Banjo, it was really getting on my nerve.

#43     Jun 4, 2002
  4. bronks

bronks

Whew, what a day. Right off the bat this morning I was down over 12 points. I tried to open my stops up and got torched. Lost 8.5 on a single trade alone and was right on my kill switch for the rest of the day. I didn't wanna go out like that so I went back to scalping and SLOWLY crawled my way back. Just zoned in on price and took quick exits. I was trying to play within ranges but I don't think I'm good enough for that. Commissions ate me up but managed to end in the black.

+10.5 points / 18 RT's

#44     Jun 4, 2002
  5. ddefina

ddefina

Good job Bronks. In the mornings I do the opposite and use tight stops (3 points ideally), and afternoon 4-5. I've found if you can go with momentum in the morning, and use a trailing stop system, you can make 1/2 your profits for the day in the first 45 minutes. It seems with wider stops in the morning, the quick reversals can blow right through them, so whats the point. My goal the middle of the day is 5-15 points so I probably use wider stops than you.

#45     Jun 4, 2002
  6. bronks

bronks

ddefina-- Thanks and I'll keep what you've said in mind. Seems everytime I start tweaking something, I get nailed. If it aint broke...

I have to say that IB has been working flawless. Fills are lightning fast and with price improvement a good 1/4 of the time for me. Whatever they did, it's working.

#46     Jun 4, 2002
  7. janko

janko

bronks how do you enter/exit positions, you shoot in a market order or limit?

#47     Jun 4, 2002
  8. nljones5

nljones5

Is there a fast way to enter and move stops on IB? An automatic trailing stop would be nice, but IB support says you can't do it that way. For what it's worth, I seem to lose one tick on market orders, but then sometimes I have to re-enter limit orders at a higher/lower price, so I'm still working on that part.

Thanks again, Bronks, for posting this thread. Just coincidentally I started trading NQs at the same time you did. After a bad first week, I'm in the black for both days this week. I had a similar day to yours as far as number of trades. I kept moving in and out of profit, but I have a hard time just sitting even when I know it's the best thing to do.

#48     Jun 4, 2002
  9. Since you trade thru IB......

What exchanges do you need to subscribe to in order to get real time quotes for ES and NQ, as well as real time quotes on the equivalent cash indexes?

I assumed it was CME, but i only see Globex listed in their prices per exchange.

#49     Jun 4, 2002
  10. ES and NQ and some other stuff trade on the CME's electronic platform: GLOBEX. That's the exchange you will want to subscribe to. The cash indices are listed on the stock exchanges. Someone else can tell you which ones you need to subscribe to.

#50     Jun 4, 2002