E-Mini questions, please help!

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by schulzey, Jun 19, 2012.

1. yes, forex is small
    IMHO the number one reason for failure is under capitalization
    you will never experience that over there. You have complete control of size
    you still get 40 to 1 leverage
    but the favorable 60/40 cap gain break is in question
    I trade with interactivebrokers
    you can open an account there and just paper trade to your hearts content all the strategies you are talking about for just $10/month

SPY will be 15 minutes delayed, but it sounds like you already have that covered

but futures and forex in the paper is extremely close to live

the other futures minis are just too illiquid for my taste

there are other forex brokers that will let you trade micro size, but they are market makers. I prefer an ecn. It's 10k to open an account at IB, if you don't like it you can get your money back at anytime within a day or two.

I like it because even if I only trade forex, I can put on some corn or some gold or buy that little stock or etf anytime I want.

personally I only use ib for trading, for the other stuff I use the usual broker

never like to have too many eggs in any one basket

#21     Jun 20, 2012
  2. schulzey

schulzey

So you can use very low leverage with forex? I've always wondered that because I've heard a lot about people blowing up with currencies and I didn't know if it was the same situation with a huge minimum contract size and people not properly capitalized to trade it.

I thought the capital gains 60/40 rule applied to all futures? That's changed for currencies now?

#22     Jun 20, 2012
  3. yes, the IRS hasn't come up with a definitive ruling on forex. I took the 60/40 split in 2011 and they haven't said anything

with 20k, forex is the place to be

no, you can trade as small as you want

at ib the minimum forex size is 25k, so that comes out to about $2.50 per pip

if you are going to move less than 100k at a time you might be better off with a mm due to the commissions

ask RCG (another poster) about his broker

#23     Jun 20, 2012
  4. I don't quite understanding the kind of trading you want to do with the e-mini. I thought it was intraday trading, and for that $20K for 1 contract is very conservative. Intraday margin of $500 is common. Therefore most of the $20K will just sit idle in your account. Of course, even if you have the margin to trade more you should always trade the minimum (1 contract) until you've proven yourself.

$700 is 14 points ES. I would not recommend allowing the possibility of a 14 point loss trading intraday regardless of your account size. With index futures you get volatility, liquidity, leverage on a very short-term trading level. If you don't want or know how to use them to your advantage then there's no point migrating over to the e-mini from stocks.

#24     Jun 20, 2012
  5. no, he likes to average down and hold overnight, sometimes for weeks. He already does it in stocks, but he wants more leverage and wants to avoid PDT. That's why he correctly discerned that even trading ES 1 contract at a time with a total of maybe 3 on altogether is too close for 20k. And I agree

#25     Jun 20, 2012
  6. schulzey

schulzey

Thanks for answering. I may not have explained it as clear in previous posts but that essentially sums it up (except only averaging up, not down). I like to start with small positions and add to them when they are going my way to reduce risk on my initial positions.

I was looking into forex and the $2.50 per pip (smallest $25,000 leverage) position with the kind of volatility that curriences have is exactly the kind of risk reward I'm looking for. I can risk $25-50 on a trade and not blow up an account while easily adding to winners. With 1 contract of ES 1 point is $50 and could blow past my stop quite easily.

Looks like I might have to learn some more about Forex now.

#26     Jun 20, 2012
  7. my first real money forex trade was quite simple. I started with 25k long USD.JPY and 25k short USD.CHF. So basically I was just long CHF/JPY since I keep score in USD. My only strategy at the time was to add to the winner 25k at a time. By the end of the day I made over 2k. I turned on CNBC and Rick Santelli was saying it was some kind of one day up record for CHF.

#27     Jun 20, 2012
  8. schulzey

schulzey

Nice!

Any suggestions for learning the basics in forex or did you just download a demo and figure it out?

#28     Jun 20, 2012
  9. just figured it (and am still figuring it out) myself. Yes, if you already have trading experience (and it sounds like you do because you are asking about risk) best is just to fool around in a paper account for a while. I know of no good information out there I would waste my time reading. But you can pick up a lot hanging out on ET.

#29     Jun 20, 2012
  10. schulzey

schulzey

to oldtime:

Any chance you could send me the link to the specific page on the cme website that talks about margin and spreads with eminis?

Thanks again for all of the info!

#30     Jun 20, 2012