E-mini option margin

Discussion in 'Options' started by levijean, Apr 5, 2017.

1. levijean

levijean

Interactive brokers requires about $10,000 margin to write an ES put. I dont have a funded account with Thinkorswim but the papertrader shows about $4,000 required margin when I enter the same order. Is that correct?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Interesting that it is more than a future. Is this an IRA?

3. levijean

levijean

4. levijean

levijean

Yes the margin required for an Emini is $3692 but the margin required to write a put is $9958. Am I missing something?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

SPAN margin initial margin for ES is $5500 and Maintenance margin is $5000. Options should vary but should never be more than the future.

6. As Mr. Morse pointed out the CME's margin requirements for the ES contract is $5000.

I only trade vertical spreads and the margin requirements are, due to SPAN, much less. Here's a screen shot from my ToS account this morning. I have an ES Iron Condor in the works, 8 total contracts, and the margin is $466.00. It changes up and down a little as the underlying (ES) price changes. If I remove one leg by taking profits, the margin will stay the same. The SPAN system knows that in the case of an Iron Condor the risk will be on one side or the other so it margins the side with the most risk not both sides. More on that here;

Chttps://www.cmegroup.com/clearing/files/span-methodology.pdf

upload_2017-4-5_12-36-39.png

I highly recommend spreads. Lower risk, lower margins, (and lower return). I would rather hit a bunch of singles than a couple of home runs. But that's my trading strategy, yours may vary. All I know is I don't like facing big margins when I can have little margins.

Best

7. levijean

levijean

According to IB, they "margin futures and FOPs differently"...

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

We use SPAN margin

9. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

ADM Portal allows to see the margin on each product as dictated by the CME SPAN.
    If you provide the strike price and month, I would be able to look up.
    This is also available to you as a customer.
    You can even do multiple strategies to see the precise margin.

10. Chubbly

Chubbly

I came across a very similar issue which I created a thread here

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...-ib-margin-calculator-and-support-are.306919/

IB doesn't use SPAN, they use their own house margin and will set it whatever they please. Even if it makes absolutely no sense at all. In my thread I should how they wanted 13,000$ margin for a vertical debit 10 point spread on the emini. While ToS showed a requirement of $187 for the same spread.
    Customer service said it was correct and not an error.......

#10     Apr 5, 2017
    MattZ likes this.