E-Mini Long & Short, Same time Same account?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Futuresnut, Nov 20, 2010.

1. bone

bone

Nut, you are interchanging some confusing (to me, at least) terminology in subsequent posts - from my understanding, it appears that you would like to trade serial calendar months in the futures contract ES; in other words, you would like to 'leg' in to and out of one month code contract versus another month code contract in the same name. For example, March 11 ES future against a June 11 ES future.

If that is indeed the case, you can do it within the same account, and as fast as you can manage. Many traders do it with automation - for example, make markets in the June 11 ES and when work to fill the hedge with the March 11 ES. You can also use the exchange supported implied calendar spread market to offset your position.

If you choose to do this, be mindful of the Globex message-to-fill ratio policy.

If that isn't what your original OP intent was, then never mind.

#11     Jan 10, 2011
  2. tomk96

tomk96

if you are long 1 ES for a longer term trade, and for a shorter term trade you get a sell signal and sell 1 ES, you are net flat.

at some point, you will exit one of those strategies leaving you with the other strategy. if i'm long 1 ES from 1300 and at 1315, i have a short term sell and sell 1, i'm net flat. if i get stopped out on the up side for my short, i'm flat the short term idea and back to the longer term of long 1 ES. net profit/loss is the same. there is no need for multiple accounts. you cannot be long and short the same product in the same account.

if you can't keep track of the two strategies by keeping some sort of trade log, maybe you are getting over your head. or simply open a second account and keep your strategies totally separate. hopefully you don't have margin issues with this.

#12     Feb 28, 2011
  3. As already suggested you can simply overlay strategies. Just store the logical info for each layer (or "trader"). Then you "project" on the single account the "net result" of all strategies. It's the best way because you can overlay any number of strategies (or "traders").

Tom

#13     Mar 12, 2011
  4. aja trade

aja trade

It is possible with certain front end platforms. With the platform I use you can setup a dummy account that mimics a second account. I have a few customers that use one account to trade longer term strategies and the dummy account to trade short term. Mind you that both clear to the same account so your statement has it all in one account. If you end up short 1 in main account and short 1 in dummy account your statement will show you flat. Not a perfect solution but it helps them to trade the same contract with two different strategies. PM me if you want more information.

#14     Mar 15, 2011
  5. the concept is inane.

you are either net long or net short in various amounts.

holding offsetting positions is meaningless and a mind fk.

#15     Mar 15, 2011
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

There are a few ways to do it:

1. Use a CFD account. You can actually be both long and short at the same time the same instrument in such account.

2. Use same futures but different expiration, like March vs. June.

3. Use different but highly correlated futures, like ES/YM/NQ. If you are long ES and short YM that is app. the same... (and 4 ES is app. 5 NQ)

#16     Mar 15, 2011
  7. kipster

kipster

what are some good accts to trade with?
    please PM me? there seems to be too many
    and everyone has a better deal. lol

#17     Mar 18, 2011
    #18     Mar 22, 2011
  9. nkhoi

nkhoi

open 2 accounts is your best bet.

#19     Mar 23, 2011
  10. cvds16

cvds16

guys this must be the winner for the most stupid thread I have come across at ET. There is totally no point in trying to be long and short at the same time unless you are doing calender spreads and then you'd better know what you are trying to achieve.
    One long and one short equals nothing ! If you want to trade two strategies just calculate your net position. All the rest (well mostly) written above here is BS.

#20     Mar 23, 2011