Dynamic stops

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by fortunatti, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Dynamic exits.

Hi all, after several years of being a fundamental-discretionary trader in an instutional/industrial trading environment, I decided to exploit patterns I've seen over-and-over in the charts. Coding, optimizing, and backtesting in Tradestation...after a few months I've taken the program live with very good success. Rather than begin developing a second strategy, I'm going to work on creating a "dynamic exit" ... ie attaching a trailing stop isn't as adapative to the environment as say some sort of hard target based on volatility or a trailing stop that adjusts its size based on some previous condition...feel creating a dynamic stop program is something that could be done "once" and applicable to a variety of entry strategies...

Hoping someone can point me to a few resources or share their ideas on how to strategically produce a smart, or "dynamic stop." Of course I'm happy to share the progress on my automated system I intend to start a journal shortly to publically track the results and encourange discussion....