Dynamic Programming Fibonacci, Shortest Paths

Discussion in 'App Development' started by easymon1, Jul 2, 2022.

1. easymon1

easymon1

delete stht.jpg delete sthu.jpg
    Dynamic Programming I: Fibonacci, Shortest Paths

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Sprout and guest_trader_1 like this.
  2. This one is my origin story as a programmer from high school.

[​IMG]

ET180 likes this.
  3. This is another topic that is taught to fill the Msc curriculum, but then in practice is not used so much. It has value to teach critical thinking but in a professional environment you would use a library that does all computations for you.

Like 80% of the Software Engineer program, sadly.

4. ET180

ET180

I can honestly say that of all the courses I took in college, I probably only needed about 2 to 4 to do my job. And I could have learned the material on my own if I wanted to. If I just wanted to cover the software side then just 1 course. Something equivalent to Stanford CS106X. If we're talking data science, then just learn Python and a few of the popular libraries. High school was a complete waste of time for me. Companies are really just using college as a pre- screen which I think is sad since it requires people to waste a lot of time that could be spent doing something more productive.

5. That's exactly it, it gives you an entry point for a job.

6. Since we sound a bit like old grandpa's complaining about war here is a bit of a chuckle to cheer the thread up.

Screenshot_20220703-074512~2.png

ET180 and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  7. easymon1

easymon1

It's a gas to watch a well crafted lecture.

That dude up top in the first post apparently ain't no slow leak either...
    "The instructor, Erik Demaine, is the youngest professor of all time at MIT and a child prodigy. He has published several articles in scientifical journals, and and now has helped several students publish their own articles. He is one of the modern day geniuses of our time. We are extremely lucky to have a free video of his lecturing."

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  8. Those other courses gave you context. I've worked with smart people who did not have the degree. They consistently lacked context and lacked the ability to see things outside what they had taught themselves.

9. Sprout

Sprout

10. ET180

ET180

Not sure what you mean by context. I don't need to take physics, calculus, chemistry, other required university requirements, or many of the courses on this list (https://cs.stanford.edu/degrees/ug/Requirements.shtml) to do most jobs that require a BS in CS in the US. How is Chemistry or multivariable calculus going to help me write an inventory tracking application or online shopping app? Far more important than taking those courses is having the ability to continue learning past school. I have met a lot of people with Ph. Ds that don't do that if what they would need to know to do their job better is outside their field of study. I think it comes down to using resources (people) efficiently. When you set hiring requirements arbitrarily and unnecessarily high, you will increase labor cost. (And time spent taking courses that were not useful could have instead been spent on learning things more relevant to their job or research.) Also, a lot of people that could do the job will be unnecessarily blocked and forced to do tasks that are below their highest skillset. Basically, they don't end up contributing as much as they could to the economy which is simply unfortunate.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    #10     Jul 3, 2022