Dynamic Excel DDE link to TOS (ThinkOrSwim)

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mxpelite, Jul 5, 2011.

1. piggy, try linking 1 symbol first see if it freezes. In addition, make sure you don t have huge amount of calculations in other worksheets which forces a recalc everytime any cell changes happen in the workbook.Also delete any columns you dont nee such as volume, open interest,etc d in the DDE cut and paste. the less data fields the better .

#31     Jul 6, 2013
  2. gshell

gshell

I can't get this to work.

I copied the code from your excel-dde-v2.xls into a blank workbook, and assigned the macros to the start/stop buttons.

I am logged in to TOS running in the background.

When I select the Start button, I get a dialog box that says:
    Remote data not accessible. Start Application TOS.EXE
    Yes No

I then click Yes 10 times and nothing happens.

What am I missing?

Thanks

#32     Jul 17, 2013
  3. sgfee123

sgfee123

gshell,

I Tried to download the spreadsheet and received the same “Remote data not accessible.” error.
    I had to delete Microsoft update KB2829361 to get it to work. Read near the bottom of this link. It has more detailed information.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...ing-after-latest-windows-7-update-on-01102013

Doing a Google search using: Excel DDE “Remote data not accessible” will give more links.

Also, see Cowtowner’s 03-13-13 10:00 PM post in this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may also want to look through this thread for “excel-dde-v4.xls”

v2 and v4 both work but v4 has some added features you may like.

1. log into TOS.
    2. Download excel-dde-v4.xls
    3. DO NOT copy the code into a blank workbook. Use excel-dde-v4.xls for everything.
    4. Copy/Paste the code into the “Thisworkbook” module IN excel-dde-v4.xls
    5. Make sure the macros are assigned to the buttons.
    6. Save the spreadsheet as an .xlsm file (for Microsoft Office 2010).

#33     Jul 17, 2013
  4. geck

geck

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the information so far!

Instead of getting real time quotes, would it be possible to export and monitor my portfolio in excel?

I have hundreds of options positions; keying them in one by one into excel is probably not a good idea.

The goal is to manipulate the data to obtain
    1) the probability of OTM for the entire portfolio and
    2) beta-weight the entire portfolio using calculated betas rather than the ones provided by TOS

Is this doable? Thanks for any and all replies.

#34     Aug 4, 2013
  5. Hi the spreadsheet works great! Thanks for this. I'm trying to port over some studies now and when i try to use say =TOS|Correlation!GOOG, I'm getting N/A in excel.
    In my TOS platform I have it set to calculate the underlying symbol with SPX, Anybody know how to make this work?

#35     Aug 6, 2013
  6. sgfee123

sgfee123

morbius14,

I had the same problem when trying to use Standard Deviation. The attachment contains the response I received after contacting Thinkorswim Support. (Support@Thinkorswim.com)

Apparently some of the items listed in Thinkorswim's DDE Help only work with ThinkScript. :(

#36     Aug 6, 2013
  7. is to ceate custom formluas using thinkscript then assign it to a custom column. once you assign it to that, you can see it in a quote page + export it to excel thru DDE like this

Quote on 8/6/13 22:14:12
    American-Style Indices
    Symbol Last Intra_HV_Index SigmaDly
    XCI =TOS|LAST!'XCI' =TOS|CUSTOM4!'XCI' =TOS|CUSTOM2!'XCI'
    XOI =TOS|LAST!'XOI' =TOS|CUSTOM4!'XOI' =TOS|CUSTOM2!'XOI'

#37     Aug 6, 2013
  8. sgfee123 & mushinseeker,

Thanks for help! much appreciated.

#38     Aug 7, 2013
  9. If I have any of the below Windows 7 updates installed:

KB2778344
    KB2778930
    KB2808735
    KB2829361
    KB2850851

My TOS-Excel spreadsheets no longer work. This list is good up to the date of this positng (August 12). As new updates come out, you will need to keep track of what causes your sheets to break.

#39     Aug 12, 2013
  10. there is a lot out there where the dde from tos stopped working after certain updates. Real pain ....before you start deleting patches from MSFT, try right clicking on excel icon and "run as admin" that is how I solved my DDE TOs problem.

Good luck

#40     Aug 12, 2013