Dynamic Excel DDE link to TOS (ThinkOrSwim)

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mxpelite, Jul 5, 2011.

1. sgfee123

sgfee123

Corrected "Position Delta" for Stock positions.

#21     Nov 14, 2012
  2. Thanks so much! Sorry it took so long, but I didn't get an email to say you had responded.

How about a curveball? A routine that sends an email/text when a specified cell gets to a certain number.

I monitor certain Butterflys and Condors based on the deltas of the entire position.

So, day the short calls/put and long calls/puts and posibly an outmonth long call are all added up and they reach greater than 16 or less than -16 it triggers an email to sms alert.

You can do Delta alerts in TOS (when they are working), but complex position delta monitoring is out.

#22     Nov 21, 2012
  3. sgfee123

sgfee123

Cowtowner,

You have an interesting idea. It can be done.

Unfortunately, it would take a little more than my available time allows.

Hopefully someone will see your post and be able to help.

#23     Nov 26, 2012
  4. Going to try to tackle it myself. I used to program VBA back in the day, but have forgotten nearly everything.

#24     Nov 27, 2012
  5. nancy7505

nancy7505

All I see is =TOS|BID!'APPL' after I enter the formula =TOSDDE("AAPL", "BID").

I tried the following, but no joy.

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic

#25     Mar 13, 2013
  6. It's a windows issue:

From another website, you have to run excel in admin mode:

a) In Vista or Windows 7, type "Excel.exe" in the "search programs and files" box in the start menu. An Excel icon will appear in the list, right button on it and select "Run as administrator".

b) Locate where Excel.exe is on your C drive and create an icon for it on the desktop. You may have to search for it on your C drive, the locations are different depending on where Office was installed, or by following step (a) select "Send to", and "Desktop - create shortcut". then you can right button select the icon from your desktop and choose "Run as administrator".

OR

2. Uninstall the Windows update that caused this problem. This isnt recommended, but you can go into Windows Update, click on "View Update History" then "Installed Updates", find the following updates in the list and uninstall them. The two updates I have found so far that each can create this problem are

KB2778930 and
    KB2778344

Once you unselect them from the next windows update I believe it wont re-install these.

Microsoft will probably release future updates that cause this problem again, so in the long run we are going to lose this method of fixing it.

#26     Mar 13, 2013
  7. nancy7505

nancy7505

It was running in admin mode.
    Maybe I missed something. I noticed if I manually ran Sub ActivateTOSDDElinks() it worked.

#27     Mar 14, 2013
  8. I have a basket trading spreadsheet that needs to be updated by 9:32 am. The DDE conversion takes too long, but I found a work around and I thought if anyone else was having the same issues, this can be helpful.

Application.Calculation = xlManual

'code here

Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic

With each cell that is converted to a DDE, excel will wait for TOS to update the values before moving onto the next cell, this will fix that issue.

#28     Jun 21, 2013
  9. That is a good workaround so if price comes in from DDE, it will not do a force recalc of all the cells, another way to do it would be to put the prices in cell X with a DDE call , let DDe bring in latest price, then do a cut and paste in another cell of just the value (ex. last price of IBM) and delete the DDe link. With the DDE severed the worksheet becomes static until you paste the DDE formula again for a new update. Hope this helps.

#29     Jul 1, 2013
  10. My DDE link still doesn't work. Removed all the windows update, ran excel as administrator but when I copy paste option chain into excel, excel just freezes.

#30     Jul 4, 2013