Dun & Bradstreet

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vanilla2, May 27, 2004.

1. just got a call from someone representing Dun & Bradstreet, asking to verify all sorts of information about my 'business'. I assume they find self employed individuals via tax records. Does anybody else get this call, and do you oblige?

I verified name and address only.

2. Catoosa

Catoosa

I have been receiving their calls for information for the last 30 years. years ago I was stupid enough to give them information of which they distorted, improperly listed, and never corrected the information when I informed them of their errors. For several years following I refused to answer their questions. For the last 10 to 15 years, I hank up the phone as soon as they identify who they are.

3. AdlerNY

AdlerNY

yep...you are right Catoosa, i'm doing the same.

4. cable

cable

At my "day job", Dun & Bradstreet regularly offers to sell us credit and ownership information on other companies we deal with. I asked a couple of pals who work at big companies about our own records, and one of them got me our information. It was 60% inaccurate at least. I examined the payment record, which detailed specific amounts at specific times, and the number of days we had paid in, and I was able to narrow it down to three companies that were feeding D&B information about us. From then on, I knew I could pay everybody six months late and still have a perfect rating if I'd pay 3M and the other two within 30 days (not that I cared, but you see what I'm saying).

Overall, i'm not impressed with them and their badly-researched Big Brother business strategy. From a trader's point of view, don't tell anybody anything ever -- unless you have found the Holy Grail, in which case, you should immediately PM me. But don't tell D&B anything unless they're paying you more than your privacy is worth.

5. Please copy me on that Holy Grail thing.

:D

6. Yes, get the calls, frequently.
    No, don't oblige.

7. tradARRR

tradARRR

this is why two years ago, I ditched the home line and now I only have a cellphone. Expensive, yes, especially as much as I talk on it, but to me, a $200-$350 phone bill/ month is a small price to pay to eat dinner with my family in peace without solicitations.

I was thinking it would be funny to have an experiment where I get a home phone line and document how many telemarketers call me every 1 month period. Of course, when they call, I'll just pull out my trusty air horn!!!!

damn those telemarketers- ARRRRRR !!!!!!!!!

8. Banjo

Banjo

There is somebody publishing a directory of cellphone #''s, read it a few days ago,can't remember where, L.A.timesI think.

D&B are worthless,more harm than good.