Dumping the Wall Street Journal

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Socrates, Jul 11, 2012.

1. piezoe

piezoe

FT is nice, and as a bonus it comes on pink paper. With regard to the U.S. market I find it more balanced than WSJ, the writing seems a tad better, and they seem to do a better job of getting below the surface. The problem I have with the WSJ is their editorials, sometimes only thinly disguised as news, make me want to use language unsuited to polite company.

#11     Jul 11, 2012
  2. hughb

hughb

I dropped my WSJ subscription when my schedule became to busy to allow time for it, but I still love it. I pick it up every Saturday at Starbucks. I still have my subscription to Barron's, I read it every Saturday night, well, when it actually gets delivered. The delivery problem here is pretty severe. I enjoy Abelson despite his perpetual bearishness. He's increased my vocabulary immensely over the last 20 years. My dictionary is dogeared because of him.

#12     Jul 11, 2012
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I'm in the US as well. Maybe I like it because I don't really spend a lot of time on macro research so it provides a good big picture of what's going on. It's more of a "Jim Rogers" view than a "Tudor Jones" view. But that's my opinion. I hear you on it becoming more US slanted.

#13     Jul 11, 2012
  4. Bizarrely, PrisonPlanet sometimes provides an economic heads-up. Like when months ago they ranted against El Presidente's scuttling of coal. Yesterday we saw coal scuttled.

#14     Jul 11, 2012
  5. hughb

hughb

LOL! Seriously, just 20 seconds ago a telemarketer called me to re-start my WSJ subscription. Telemarketers always mispronounce my name as "HUGE".

#15     Jul 11, 2012
  6. WSJ and Barrons are Rupert products now (like Dow Jones).

Soon they will put the Page 3 girls in to boost subscription. :D

#16     Jul 11, 2012
  7. The B confuses non-native speakers.

#17     Jul 11, 2012
  8. A potential copy editing job for Cassie! Today ET. Tomorrow WSJ!

#18     Jul 11, 2012
  9. Truth to tell, when I first started reading WSJ in my twenties, I thought I would be a customer for the grand Colorado chalets, the Bentleys, the Rolexes, and the fine slinky babes in the ads. Just bitter, now, I guess.

#19     Jul 11, 2012
  10. S2007S

S2007S

:p

Its not a market for mom and pop, its only for HFT's since about 3/4 of the volume is made up by the HFT's and no one else, its computers playing the markets now.

Why invest in an unfair market, the little guys know that the stock market isnt what it used to be and that its filled with fluff.

#20     Jul 11, 2012