Dumping Parallels and Mac for...what exactly?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tortoise, Nov 2, 2012.

1. tortoise

tortoise

I've been a happy Mac/Parallels user for three years, but their latest version is buggier than summer barbeque. Need to abandon Mac platform immediately for straight Windows, but as I have spent no time thinking about/looking at computers, I have no idea what to get.

Not building my own; I have enough going on in my life, thanks. Need something off-the-shelf that will really crank. Grateful for any advice. Thanks

2. tortoise

tortoise

3. you can check dell outlet for good deals or build your own desktop.

4. Depends on what your current hardware is. An i3 CPU with 6-8GB of RAM would probably work very well in most any situation - that said an i7 is also a great choice. It always comes down to budget and your requirements.

The hex-core (6-core) CPUs are a bit overkill unless you have a specific need for them. Many software platforms for trading are still single-threaded so getting something crazy like a hex-core is a waste.

What is your budget and then what software/platforms are you going to use?

5. Mr_You

Mr_You

I'm personally leaning toward a Mac Book Air 11" running VMware Fusion so I can run multiple copies of NinjaTrader at once. Along with, probably, an iPad Mini for the web. Can hook up two displays to Thunderbolt.

Some of the reasons include: battery backup power, ultra-portable (3lbs total with Mac Book Air and iPad Mini), multiple NinjaTraders running for development. Easy recovery: backups to Time Capsule, easy to swap out hardware at Apple Store, restore software and back up and running in a couple hours.

Mac OS X will be my "personal" environment, and VMware Fusion Windows installs for "work".

Mac Book Airs (without display) are pretty cost competitive compared to other ultra-books.

For production trading environment I'll probably use Remote Desktop to a low latency server.

So anyways, maybe consider moving to VMware Fusion?

Otherwise I suggest considering a Lenovo T430 or W530.

6. shfly

shfly

Or you can just buy one from eBay...I just bought one, 6-core Xeon...The only item missing is warranty, but have 30 days to return this item...My 3rd buy of a Dell Precision from eBay. Never had any issues. (One new Precision from Dell, never had any issues, didn't have to use support). The newer 6-core Xeon are pricier, but you do get 3-years warranty. (If you don't need one right away, keep checking at Dell's Business outlet for one. They offer 3 years warranty).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precis...1122505453?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item3ccc1d3aed