Dumb sound question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toonces, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Toonces

Toonces

I would call tech support, but my service contract is up.

I can't get any sound on my computer. In my 'Sounds and Multimedia Properties' box, under 'Sound Volume', there's the bar you can move from low to high, but I can't move it. 'Low' and 'High' are grayed out. I do have a sound card.

What are the possible problems? I know there's a really simple answer to this; I just can't figure it out.

2. Make sure all the simple stuff is correct like plugs in the right places. Go to control panel /system /hardware/device manager, find the sound card. Uninstall your sound card and then reinstall it. Also try and reseat the card.

3. TGregg

TGregg

Might not need to be said, but turn your computer off before you reseat the card, or even open the case.

4. Short of that, uninstall the sound card drivers and restart windows.

5. imo, as stated above, reinstall the drivers

if its a dell or gateway, you can get the drivers from their respective sites.

--RS

6. omniscient

omniscient Guest

if it is a dell, you might be able to run the resource disk which can diagnose / repair various hardware / driver type issues. even if it's not a dell, i think a lot of major brands include some type of resource disk that performs similarly to the DRD.

otherwise, everyone else has made good suggestions of various ways to t-shoot it.

hth

take care -

omni

7. I don't think he can hear any of us :D

8. Toonces

Toonces

I can read lips. :)