dumb mistakes

Discussion in 'Trading' started by qdz, Nov 27, 2002.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Now there's one that every beginner should write on the blackboard 500 times.

--Db

#51     Jan 24, 2003
  2. rs7

rs7

Pretty messed up. But a run for the money is a guy started where I was working, and on his very first day he takes a sip of whatever the guy next to him had in his cup. Guess he was thirsty. Takes a gulp.

Well it was the other guy's spittoon!!

Now THAT is Seriously messed up as well. Maybe worse than your own piss. Tough call. Almost worth a thread of it's own so a poll can be taken:)

Peace,
    rs7

#52     Jan 24, 2003
  3. an interesting read that relates to this thread:

Just got "When Supertraders Meet Kryptonite" By Art Collins... (CBOT trader here in Chicago).

Just started it last night. First chapter or two and I think it already has paid out profits. What's intersting if I have read the Wizards' series several times, but if we think about it we learn more from our mistakes many times (often) than from great trades and very successful profit runs. In fact most good traders know that after very successful trading periods.... one becomes more prone to big time drawdowns. This book interview 35 traders who qualify as successful/great "super", tells you their history/stories... but shows you their foibles, errors and "dumb mistakes" that they made, how they handled them and the epilogue to such event(s) going forward. Very refreshing and honest.

It has been exceedingly cathartic and reinforcing to find a common thread/bond of humanity and share the same imperfections with the traders in this text. I think each of us would find at least one scenario, one kernel of insight from this book that would add value to trading year.

I look forward to finishing it this weekkend, and having a great year.

b.t.w. AMZN didn't have any in stock so purchased from Traderpress.com ($35 + ship)

p.s. no, don't get any kickbacks from Collins...! :D Just happy to come across it and add to my library.

#53     Jan 25, 2003
  4. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

My state of mind? I am afraid of making a mistake. The day when FEAR gets the upper hand, I hesitate to push the button.

#54     Jan 25, 2003
  5. monee

monee

bobcathy

How do you define a mistake?

a.) unintentionally breaking one of your trading rules
    b.) intentionally breaking one of your rules
    c.) a trade according to plan but it just didn't work

If your following your rules and you are just fearful,
    possibly your position size is too large,and your worried a string of losers will affect your buying power.

Just my 2 cents

#55     Jan 25, 2003
  6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I know it is because I am worried about Bob's health problems.
    I trade small size in relation to my total account.
    I am afraid the correct signals are going to go against me.
    Or that I misread them.
    Monday is another day:)

#56     Jan 26, 2003
  7. monee

monee

In my opinion possibly take a break,or paper trade.

Even though many people criticize paper trading, a few winning paper trades can instill lost confidence.

The mkt will always be there.

#57     Jan 26, 2003
  8. Read yesterday's chart while thinking about today....

Monitor an staled chart while waiting favorite movement...

The author became rs7 while it was thought to be qdz...

:p

#58     Sep 22, 2003
  9. How about not rolling over to the new contract in your order entry software after volume picks up even though you have the new contract's data in your charts? I have done that more than once.

#59     Sep 22, 2003
  10. all the usual suspects, long instead of selling and accidentally doubling a losing position as it rockets away...

...but the most annoying was the last time i entered 6 contracts with a market order in a super thin market and got a cascading series of incredibly shitty fills. man did i feel like a jackass.

all told i think i have lost several thousand to mistakes in the last few months, and that doesnt even count all the times i've tried to beat the system and got stuck in hope land on a nasty loser.

i finally started logging and plotting every trade against the strategy so i could see just how expensive my mistakes are. it helps to imagine how much trouble i'd be in if i was working for someone else and screwing up their executions so badly. i would be so fired by now.

#60     Sep 22, 2003