dumb mistakes

Discussion in 'Trading' started by qdz, Nov 27, 2002.

1. LOL!! ROTFLMFAO!! :D The closest I ever did to that was pissing into an empty McDonald's cup while driving 70MPH because I was too lazy to stop the car.

#11     Nov 27, 2002

2. LOL, That has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard.:D

#12     Nov 27, 2002
  3. prox

prox

I still do #1 ..

my biggest mistakes now are chasing stuff down when it moves quickly without me after I have my signal ...

and trying to be cute and exit with limit orders, and then having to exit on market at a worse price once it moves even more.

#13     Nov 27, 2002
  4. Eldredge

Eldredge

I am staying with some of my wife's relatives for the holiday, so my computers aren't set up the way I usually have them. I trade pairs, and the last two days I have made entry errors that cost me about $1,000 in lost profit. I shorted what I should have longed and longed what I should have shorted. I hate it when that happens!

#14     Nov 27, 2002
  5. qdz

qdz

I wonder if there is still complaint (from those who use web clients) about buying CHTR into CHRT or selling INTC into INTL.

:p

#15     Nov 27, 2002
  6. I've seen an academic study that showed how remarkably correlated the short term returns are on companies whose tickers look very similar for no other reason except that traders confuse the tickers.
    Can't think of the title now, but I can probably look it up if someone is interested. The magnitude of the effect was huge, which should say something about how common such errors are :)
    Not a bad place to look for an arbitrage strategy, by the way, correcting those temporary errors....

#16     Nov 27, 2002
  7. Winston

Winston

I went short MRVL last month @16 on a swing trade. I own a bar and got vry busy then and I stopped trading and forgot about my open short. A week or so later its trading just under 20 and I refused to bail thinking this junk has to tank. It's now at 23 and am stuck waiting for a good pullback, hoping 24 R holds. Nothing worse than being in a loser like this. Sad part is just before this I had my biggest hit in KLAC. F%#%#^*ing embarassing!

#17     Nov 27, 2002
  8. QDZ, You've made me feel a little better, thanks. It's funny you posted this today because today I made one of my bigger mistakes, that cost me about six hundred bucks...... I was in a short and placed a buy stop instead of a limit at my profit point so was of course filled and then I watched my short drop to my profit point without me.
    In my defense, I was at the same time playing with new filtering and execution software... ...I got the software to help prevent execution errors.......... If it wasn't for the loose nut behind the screen.....

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#18     Nov 27, 2002
  9. DblArrow

DblArrow

Done this a number of times; not the forget part, that I would say it is the dumb mistake part, but the refusing to take the loss, that I would say is the stupid part.

It seems to me that this is what perpetuates a loser, knowing one has made a (dumb) mistake and yet hoping and perhaps praying that one can get out a little better that it currently is.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

#19     Nov 27, 2002
  10. Winston

Winston

Done this a number of times; not the forget part, that I would say it is the dumb mistake part, but the refusing to take the loss, that I would say is the stupid part.

It seems to me that this is what perpetuates a loser, knowing one has made a (dumb) mistake and yet hoping and perhaps praying that one can get out a little better that it currently is.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

I know I'm in a loser just trying to soften the blow. Agree w/stupid.

#20     Nov 27, 2002