Dumb luck trade stories

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chrismontez, Oct 27, 2007.

1. So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one---big hitter, the Lama---long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

#11     Oct 27, 2007
  2. I was short on the ER2 and was closing my positions because the day was almost over and the market was consolidating. Apparently due to a momentary system hip up I clicked a few more times than intended when covering the position. Each click signifying an additional 5 cars.

The following morning due to afterhours and market data released before the open had caused the market to rally quite a bit. Albeit nothing huge it definitely was unintended.

Anek

#12     Oct 27, 2007
  3. A guy named Timothy Sykes runs a miniscule hedge fund. Then he decides to tell the world how to trade.

And by some dumb luck, he manages to sell his manure to others

Go figure...

#13     Oct 27, 2007
  4. Okay, this happened two days ago... I see that TWX is falling rapidly and quickly set my tier size to 4000. Because I trade with a different quote and order entry platform when entering the symbol I only typed "WX" and then quickly shorted 4000 in the market. When I looked and saw it wasn't TWX, I saw I was short 4000 shares at a fuck-print price of a stock that had traded 400,000 shares that day. The liquidity situation looked grim, as there was no place to get out of 4k shares... had I gone market to cover my short, or swept up all the different books, I'd have been out at least $1500
    I started working out of the position, when a 1000 share offer came to a low price i'd lift it and i'd come back with 100 share bids... but luckily the futures were tanking, and a seller came into the stock, and I was able to work my way out of the stock with a loss of slightly over a penny - $80 with commissions. My P/L showed me out of the money $800 at onep oin, and that was calculating it based on 400 shares with nothing behind it for another 10 cents! Had the futures not been selling off hard at thht time, or got forbid were rising... my entire morning's profit would have been gone.

#14     Oct 27, 2007