Dumb Canucks get 1 billion dollars in debt for the olympics.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Feb 25, 2010.

1. sprstpd

sprstpd

Yes, they now know that anyplace can host the Winter Olympics as long as they truck in the snow. Jamaica in 2022?

#31     Mar 1, 2010
  2. I knew! It's where that lunatic C-kid is from.

#32     Mar 1, 2010
  3. We haven't found a way to make a car run on maple syrup yet.

Until then, the best cars on Canadian soil, as with on U.S soil, will be from Europe and Japan.

#33     Mar 1, 2010
  4. Mnphats

Mnphats

That would still benefit Canada.

:)

#34     Mar 1, 2010
  5. I agree with you on Europe, but not japan!

#35     Mar 1, 2010
  6. Without mentioning the T-word :eek:, to be fair, I have to allude somewhat to the luxury car divisions in Japan, not that I have a preference for them over European cars.

I wouldn't buy them anyway.

#36     Mar 1, 2010
  7. Some people aren't very bright...

#37     Mar 1, 2010
  8. jem

jem

Yes so now they can have more immigrants to put on the dole.

I love sports - but the taxpayers should not be making "investments". Ghost of Cutten said it really well. His logic is compelling. Plus the games are not the way they use to be. They same to be far too professional and far too much of a show and a spectacle rather than gritty sport.

I watched a really good fun hockey game last night. But it was won by a bunch of well paid pros - who frankly really did not seem all the joyous. What did they overcome -- lack of practice together? Having to open up a second bank branch account?

It just was not that thrilling to them or me.

#38     Mar 1, 2010
  9. Personally, I think the Olympics carried more weight in the pre-cable tv era. Back in those days with the 3 major networks, nobody had a steady diet of sports 24 hours a day/7 days a week. ESPN basically changed things forever.

Nowadays, it's such a fragmented sports market between all the various specialty sports channels, that it's hard to imagine the Olympics generating that much interest. My best guess is that those who still watch it grew up in the pre-cable era and the Olympics are a form of nostalgia. I'd like to know how many in the 30 & under crowd closely followed them.

I was old enough to remember the 1980 USA hockey victory at Lake Placid. In those days, that was the sort of thing that everybody had watched or talked about for the days following.

#39     Mar 1, 2010
  10. Mav88

Mav88

Sports is really strange when you think about it, all the artificial drama over a bunch of millionaires playing a game.

I played basketball, but watching it now isn't entertaining at all to me, and I don't understand fanatics. Watching is not nearly as much fun as playing which I thought was the point in the first place.

I like watching pro football because of how complex and brutal it is and how much coaching matters, but only as long as it is free. I can't afford to subsidize millionaires

#40     Mar 1, 2010