Duel ISP

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by jesseah, Jul 26, 2013.

1. jesseah

jesseah

I have Comcast business class and for the most part I don't have any issues with it. However, 5 or 6 times a year it goes down due to an outage in the area. Obviously this puts me out of business for the day. I'm tempted to get a backup ISP like ATT or a inexpensive dsl connection. Is there a cost effective way to use Comcast as my primary, but have a router or something automatically flip to the back up when the primary goes down? Thanks for any help.

2. dcvtss

dcvtss

There are many dual WAN SOHO routers out there and this has been discussed more than a few times around here, I don't have this setup so can't recommend a brand. Try searching for those old threads.

3. jesseah

jesseah

thanks for the reply. I'll look into those

4. maxpi

maxpi

I have one of those. It's a repackaged Hotbrick. The Hotbrick unit I had would go wide open with a power line glitch so I'd recommend a filter upstream from the Syswan. When it fails over to the backup isp you will lose your logged in connections, they won't recognize you and you have to relog in.

5. jesseah

jesseah

Thanks frank. Maxpl - can you explain that to a non IT guy? I really just need something to turn on as a back up, with no downtime. What do you mean by a filter? Is this one a y good? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002I7288/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

I was even thinking about doing the backup as wireless if I can't find a simple wired solution. Again, I'd appreciate any insight.

6. maxpi

maxpi

I really did not like Cisco when I was shopping. If they have something that is easy to set up I couldn't find it. I couldn't even navigate their website, it seems to be oriented towards IT professionals with a big budget. I strongly wanted to set up a whitelist by ip addresses and I found with a lot of companies they provide that as an extra, an expensive extra for my budget. The Syswan provides that right out of the box. It requires learning to login to the thing and do a little setup work but once you get over the initial learning curve it's a piece of cake... it's great if you dedicate a computer to trading, you just put your data provider and your brokerage ip addresses in a list and it blocks everything else. You can do the same thing with a linux box but I feel that the hardware firewall is a lot more secure than whatever is in second place..

By "filter" I was referring to just a power line filter, a UPS might be best really.

I don't think you can achieve instant failover because all the sites you are logged into won't recognize your backup ip address and you will have to log in again. I always have a bracket in place with the broker/exchange, not managed locally. That way if I lose the connection I have little to be concerned with other than losing some trading time.

7. gaj

gaj

8. Check out http://josh.com/teepipe/ TeePipe.

I can't remember for sure, and I'm too lazy to re-read it. But I think it is a software solution and not only will it switch to whatever connection is working, but it will use both connections at once for extra bandwidth.

The guy who wrote the code for it was also (I believe) the guy who wrote the original code for Island. His life is an interesting story.

EDIT:: I looked at the webpage and unfortunately it looks as if it hasn't been touched in a long time. Not sure if you can find the software anywhere, but it is probably dead. :(

#10     Jul 29, 2013