Dubious rally today.

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by TheDudeofLife, Jul 23, 2007.

1. john12

john12

shorts my foot. thats bullshit. the short interest you see is 75-80% hedged bets. second put to call has not been high overall for weeks and months. MYABE YOU'RE NOT GETTING EUPHORIA LIKE 99 BECAUSE THE AVG GUY ON THE STREET IS BROKE AND BARELY AHS ENOUGH MONEY TO EAT. REMEMBER MOST OF THESE GAINS ARE USING HUGE LEVERAGE FROM HEDGIES AND ONCE THEY UNWINDD THE DROP WILL STUN ALL

#11     Jul 23, 2007
  2. You're making my point. Bad earnings, no more talk of 1600 and yet SPX is off a whopping 1% from it's high.

I'll be reeling in some shorts before I set off for dinner......

#12     Jul 23, 2007
  3. That's my point...there still seems to be airs of hope regarding earnings season with no catalysts moving and nothing much bright in the future. I see nothing going on that indicates we move higher as of now. Dow is an up mover in my book due to the weak dollar and blue chips better to take advantage, but I think the spooz will lose a little weight soon...maybe not for long, but I think a low 1500 test is in order in the next 2 weeks. We'll see. :D

And earnings haven't been terrible, just very unimpressive even with lowered expectations. Although we have yet to hear some of the homebuilders and lenders speak, CFC reports tomorrow...should be interesting.

#13     Jul 23, 2007
  4. That's all well and good (and also true) but to a leveraged futures trader timing is everything. A death spiral this October from 1630 doesn't do me any good if I blow up on the way up there....

#14     Jul 23, 2007
  5. topdown

topdown

This is the Stocks thread:

"Discuss specific companies listed on the major exchanges."

Let's keep the bear / bull arguing bullshit up in the trading section.

No, I'm no moderator, but these arguments get old, and they seem to happen every day. There should just be a single perpetual thread up there for this ridiculous bickering.

#15     Jul 23, 2007
  6. Hey knuckle head. It's after 6pm est.
    Time for you to get your mommy to drive you to your night key-holder job at Burger World. :D :D :)

#16     Jul 23, 2007
  7. topdown

topdown

Hey dickhead, it's summer and I've been working all day. I'm off work tomorrow so I can stay up as late as I want to. Fuck Off.

#17     Jul 23, 2007
  8. Me so very sorry.

Me forgot you now got summer job at halfway house at golf course..You sell a lot of hot dogs and beer today?

Again, me very sorry.
    Go swimming tomorrow on your day off or some other fun stuff.

#18     Jul 23, 2007
  9. "I think the markets are manipulated, the futures are the only reason the market is making new highs."

loser-meme 101 (TM)

"THE MARKETS ARE MANIPULATED"

let me clue you into how the markets work. when demand exceeds supply at a given price (or price range), price moves UP

when supply exceeds demand.... then price moves down

that's how ALL of these auction markets work

it is not "manipulation"

futures TEND to (but not necessarily) lead the market. that's not manipulation. its because futures offer a very liquid way for hedger, spec's, institutions etc. to quickly buy a contract on an underlying group of stocks

the AD *was* NEGATIVE today (both NYSE and Nasdaq). yes. that doesn't make it "manipulation". it means that stocks IN GENERAL declined today, but certain proxies for supply and demand (such as the dow) were up pretty strongly.

why? well, the dow is a price weighted group of 30 large cap stocks. it is not THE market. it is A market.

it ALWAYS pays to watch breadth in various areas - NYSE, Nasdaq, etc. to see how broad based buying and selling are.

it is entirely possible (and not that unusual) to see for example the dow up, the nasdaq composite down, the utilities up, and the semis down.

that's not "manipulation".

trade the frigging tape and don't think that if the market does not conform to how you THINK it should move, that it is Manipulation

#19     Jul 23, 2007
  10. The A/D line isn't a reliable indicator.

#20     Jul 23, 2007