Dubai shock after debt standstill call

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ASusilovic, Nov 26, 2009.

1. well, in dubai, if you write a check and it is bounced, you go to jail...

on the other hand...

#11     Nov 26, 2009
  2. Abu Dhabi wont be there to help them out.

The Sheikh need his money to help Manchester City to win the Premier League.

#12     Nov 26, 2009
  3. #13     Nov 26, 2009
  4. Presenting a list of the more colourful names understood to have invested in Nakheel’s Dubai Palm development (Source: tabloids and press).

* David Beckham (footballer, international fashion icon)
    * Michael Owen (footballer)
    * David James (goalkeeper)
    * Joe Cole (footballer)
    * Andy Cole (retired footballer)
    * Kieron Dyer (footballer)
    * Brad Pitt and Angelie Jolie (actors)
    * Michael Jackson (king of pop)
    * Naomi Campbell (model)
    * Denzel Washington (actor)

Britons, meanwhile, accounted for about 25 per cent of the buyers with the rest from 75 different nationalities, including several Americans, according to the Daily Mail.As for banks, the Emirates Bank Association lists the following institutions as being the largest foreign banks invested in the UAE:

* HSBC $17bn
    * Standard Chartered $7.8bn
    * Barclays $3.6bn
    * RBS $2.2bn
    * Citi $1.9bn
    * BNP Paribas $1.7bn
    * Lloyds $1.6bn

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/11/26/85506/im-a-celebrity-get-me-out-of-dubai/

#14     Nov 26, 2009
  5. these guys never actually invested.

They were given the properties for free in exchange for leeting it known that they had set foot in Dubai.

Some of them actually never set foot in Dubai and the one that did will never again.

Do you think that Brad Pitt and Angelina Joile or David Beckham actually know where Dubai is and most important will care going forward?

I think the folks above are more Caribbean-type customers and do not plan to spend any time in Dubai. On the other hand, London cabbies are very much a Dubai clientele.

Yes, the world is not fair. Some get it for free and don't give a shit, others work hard to invest in a dream, get stuffed and will turn out to be more miserable than ever.

#15     Nov 26, 2009
  6. search for a related earlier post of mine, I mentioned months ago that this is exactly gonna happen.

Those "oil terrorists" will go exactly where they are coming from, riding camels and horses in the desert. There are so many pointers that the basis for their money wasting life style is so flawed: Not a single investment they have ever touched has made a positive return, their whole plan of turning the region into a tourist destination is laughable, their belief that the rest of the world will be dependent on their oil for the rest of their life is also more than questionable. No other region in the world is so blessed with natural resources yet no other people on this planet have wasted so much money, kept all their citizens rich enough to not risk an uprising yet still incredibly poor while the Sheiks' hundreds of sons race Ferraris.

What a regretful lifestyle and I wont shed a single tear if this whole region goes down the river because thats exactly what they deserve!!!

#16     Nov 26, 2009
  7. I wonder how that indoor ski resort in Dubai will fare ...

http://www.skidubai.com/

I'm sure this place doesn't consume much energy!:D

#17     Nov 26, 2009
  8. spinn

spinn

very well said asiaprop

#18     Nov 26, 2009
  9. Good timing with this apocalyptic video game set in Dubai, announced in November 2009. A glimpse into the future? :cool:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i5ZswWcpinw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i5ZswWcpinw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

#19     Nov 26, 2009

10. pretty confusing situation. Need more info.

Although on the face of it Dubai has always looked like an accident waiting to happen.

I mean it's in a bloody dessert next to Iran. The Vegas of the Middle East:D

#20     Nov 26, 2009