Dual Xeon Full Usage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ig0r, May 24, 2006.

1. No, not impressive at all. There may be some advantages to DDR2 for AMD, but it seems that performance isn't one of them at the moment. I'm also interested to see how the Intel Conroes benchmark. I did read somewhere that the initial Conroes won't have 64 bit support. If in fact true, that seems a bit of an issue - especially for those of us running Linux or other *nix.

#21     May 26, 2006
  2. hopback

hopback

A friend of mine asked me to look at her computer because it was running slow and locking up.
    The proccesses list under ctrl/alt/delete only showed 6 apps running but there was only 60 Mb of available memory out of 512, and the proc was running steady at 80-81%

I isntalled Spybot and checked the Active Proccesses list and it showed 39 apps running. Most of it was software for her digital camera, printer, scanner, Kodac photo editing, Yahoo, MSN, etc..

shut most of them down and turned them off in the Start Up Applications list, ran the spyware cleaner, a regisrty cleaner, and defraged the hard drive.

After 6 hours (including defrag) it showed 420 MB available and the proc was steady at 18%.

#22     May 26, 2006
  3. segv

segv

Your problem is not hardware, its software. Get better software.

-segv

#23     May 26, 2006
  4. ig0r

ig0r

Can't do it, Redi is the only realistic option for what I'm doing as I clear through GS

#24     May 26, 2006
  5. nbates

nbates

Get a better (different) software vendor for Quotes, and use REDI only for the trade execution?

#25     May 26, 2006
  6. ig0r

ig0r

I doubt that would help. Changing scope back and forth between a quote app and redi will slow the system down quite a bit.

#26     May 26, 2006
  7. ig0r

ig0r

I mean, that's good advise, but I don't think it'll help. I have spybot, I don't have any spyware, would really matter as it should show up in the proc list anyways. Even if it didn't, and it was some sort of processor hungry spyware, I would see it eating up cycles when redi was off and comp was idle - yet my processors sit at like 5% at that point. Memory isn't an issue, I'm not even using half of what I have in there, at any point.

#27     May 26, 2006
  8. Don't trust spybot, antivirus software.
    Here is my suggestion, disconnect from internet first.
    BACKUP your data.
    Low level format your hard driver.
    Re-install your OS (presume it is Winxp).
    turn on the firewall of xp. just leave HTTP ports and very few of ports open.
    Re-install your software.
    Re-connect to internet
    and test your performance then, before you are going to use your computer to other sites which are NOT trading related.

if you know anything about ROOTKITS, you wouldn't trust antiviurs and spybot softwares.

piecpe of advice, Don't use your trading computer do another stuff. Get other computers

#28     May 28, 2006
  9. Have you tried the platform from Redsky financial? They allow you to clear through GS, Merrill, etc.

#29     May 28, 2006
  10. If I were you I'd get the fastest AMD Opteron I could afford. Not sure if dual core or dual CPU is best for price/performance with Tradestation. I bet ochart.exe or orcal.exe is hogging up your CPU.

In theory, in a dual core/dual CPU system these should be assigned to a CPU each.

I am planning to put together a dual CPU Tyan board system, plonk in the fastest 2xx series Opteron I can afford, and have a RAID-1 setup (disk striping), as I believe TS is a little I/O hungry with the way it builds tick/vol charts. Later I can place a second CPU if I need to.

Then again, it would help if TS was written properly.

#30     May 28, 2006