Dual Xeon Full Usage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ig0r, May 24, 2006.

1. How do you assign a process to a single CPU in XP? I have XP but don't know how to do it. Thanks.

#11     May 25, 2006
  2. press ctr-alt-delete and the the windows task manager will come up.. click on the tab for processes.. choose the process that you want to assign.. right click on it and select "Set Affinity".. youre there.. :)

-qwik

#12     May 25, 2006
  3. ig0r

ig0r

Yes this is useful I guess, although most trading apps aren't multithreaded and are therefore limited to a single processor anyways - windows delegates the cycles automatically.

#13     May 25, 2006
  4. ig0r

ig0r

Yes I've been considering getting an EE system. Do you know if any of the next gen AMD/Intel clock much higher than the EE?

Also, what are the specs of your build, just curious

#14     May 25, 2006
  5. mtwokay

mtwokay

ig0r and others,

For what it's worth I use a Dell Precision 670 with one 3.6MHZ Xeon cpu w/hyperthreading running TradeStation, IB, Ensign Software, Yahoo IM, Windows Media player, and my cpu usually hovers between 2 and 20 percent during a calm markets and between 40 and 70 when things get moving.

Look at the process running on your system, and considering adding more memory before trashing your current hardware setup. I find my one xeon process is perfectly capable of handling the load.

Regards

#15     May 25, 2006
  6. I dont really know that much about the new chips from AMD. I have one AMD system that I use in my other business and have not been impressed. The new Conroe/Core chips from Intel look promising but they wont likely come out with higher clock speeds. They have a smarter execution logic which from the reviews I've read seem to give it a nice boost over the current EE chips though.

This is my first attempt to build a pc so I'm praying all these components play nice together.

Gigabyte Quad Royal Motherboard - (Has 4 PCI-Express slots)
    Pentium EE Dual core processor 3.73
    700w Power supply
    150gb Raptor 10,000rpm
    3 GeForce 7900GT overclocked cards that come in a totally snazzy box :)
    4 gb Ram - OCZ 5400
    Sony Dvd and Sony DVD-RW-RAM
    Soundblaster X-Fi Elite 7.1
    Windows XP Media Edition + Office Pro
    Logitech G-15 Gaming keyboard and laser mouse
    6 Dell 24" LCD's - (Arrived yesterday and are gorgeous)

The last few pieces of the system will be here this afternoon but the monitor arms and the split level computer table will be here next week.

Monitor arms: http://www.ergomart.com/lcd_monitor_stands/lcd_monitor_stands.htm

Computer table: http://www.hertzfurniture.com/mo_Split_Level_Training_Table_4376.html#

-qwik

#16     May 25, 2006
  7. ig0r

ig0r

I have several ETFs on my screen, along with level 2 and T&S - the amount of data being processed can be extraordinary at times.

Excel on it's own processor only uses up about 40-50%, but redi uses up around 80% of it's processor during normal markets.

My system is actually a little more robust than yours as you have HT on, this essentially turns your 3.6 ghz Xeon (which clocks a little over 3 ghz I'd guess) into two 1.5 ghz processors - I have two seperate 2.8 ghz Xeons in my box, with HT off.

Memory is not the issue, as I said. These are not memory-intensive operations/applications, and my memory usage for everything sits at around 500 MB, regardless of market activity, with close to half of that taken up by firefox instances.

#17     May 25, 2006
  8. ig0r

ig0r

Cool. The graphics cards are obviously overkill, although they should be still rockin a couple years from now. Is the processor 64-bit capable? If not, keep in mind that a 32-bit system can only utilize 2 gb of ram - you'd need another processor or to switch to 64-bit (which isn't really a good idea yet, maybe in a couple years) to get the full benefit of that ram.

This comes off as more of a gaming machine than for trading, definitely top of the line.

I'm using a couple 21" right now, will most likely switch to one or two of the 30" as I have them sitting right next to me right now, just need the graphics cards :p

Just curious, what are you trading and are you with a firm? Feel free to PM me

#18     May 25, 2006
  9. #19     May 25, 2006
  10. Chagi

Chagi

I read those the other night, not very impressive (aside from perhaps the forthcoming low-power models). I'm very, very interested to see some official benchmarks on the Conroes, though we will be seeing Woodcrest (server) benchmarks quite soon.

#20     May 26, 2006