Dual Wan Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JayS, Sep 14, 2006.

1. OK thanks, too funny :D I normally have alot of common sense. Thanks :p Dan

#41     Oct 17, 2006
  2. wave

wave

#42     Oct 19, 2006
  3. squeeze

squeeze

Not tried it but it still does not solve the problem of gaps whilst the TCP/IP connection fails over from one ISP to another.

#43     Oct 19, 2006
  4. wave

wave

I am running dual isp cable 15mbps and fiber 15mbps for a total of 30mbps. Problem my (old) Nexland ISB Pro800turbo reduces the download bandwidth down to 3mbps max. I know the router supports up to 8-11mbps thruput. Anyone know why this might be happening? MTU level? Anyone suggest a better solution software or hardware based?

#44     Oct 19, 2006
  5. GTS

GTS

That's because it is impossible to maintain a TCP session when changing source IP addresses which is exactly what happens when you failover from one ISP connection to another.

There is no hardware or software in the world that can change this fact - it is just how TCP works.

It is possible that a particular brokerage software package (which operates at a higher level on the network stack then TCP) is able to detect a TCP connection failure and transparently/silently reconnect behind the scene without user intervention but that is going to be a feature of the brokerage software, not of the ISP failover device.

#45     Oct 19, 2006
  6. squeeze

squeeze

What is the contention ratio on the two ISP connections?

#46     Oct 19, 2006
  7. wave

wave

I assume contention ratio is something that the isp provides?
    Anyhow, i do not know. I have full bandwidth on both isp connections when the router is removed. So ii know it is a problem with the nexland, so I am searching for replacement solution or fix, hack, etc.

ty

#47     Oct 19, 2006