Dual Wan Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JayS, Sep 14, 2006.

1. chisel

chisel

Thanks for the info.

#31     Sep 18, 2006
  2. taodr

taodr

I can't see the "safety" aspect here. Even if you had separate phone lines , they would have to go thru same " box" to your house or office unless you paid a ton of money for wiring separately from station. Would/nt it be safer to have one line cable.

#32     Sep 18, 2006
  3. Running bear

My motherboard have two network ports, right now I have brighthouse cable modem hooked up with 7mb speed, yesterday and today brighthouse was down for more than 4 hours each time, what I am thinking is to get a verizon dsl 3mb speed for backup purpose, solution you have posted sounds good, only thing I was wondering which connection will be used as a primary internet by winxp, because one connection is fast and other is slow, will winxp assign two different ip addresses and in case of one failure how long it takes winxp to switch over to working one and do I have to do anything or it going to be transparent.

#33     Oct 12, 2006
  4. GTS and others.......If this is true, which makes sense, then it negates some of the benefits of dual wan failover in seconds. Since I will have to shut down TT X Trader and then reconect right? So even if I get my alt ISP up and running in 20 seconds I still have to close X Trader and reconnect. Am I getting this correct? This is going to be more like 2-3 minutes in the real world. I guess I best make sure my broker still has good phone backup. I ask this because I am going to be scaling up contracts and I have had a few outages with Comcast lately.

#34     Oct 12, 2006
  5. GTS

GTS

I can't speak to what you need to do with a specific application because the application could contain code to detect the session going down and automatically retry to bring it back up on its own - in which case you wouldn't need to do anything.

But barring that kind of auto-detect/reconnect code, yes I think you are right, you would need to shutdown and restart the app (or at least logoff/logon).

Its not exactly equivalent (beacuse the IP address doesnt change) but try physically unplugging your ethernet cable sometime while connected on your platform, wait 30 seconds and then plug it back in and see how it handles it; better yet, reboot your cable modem (assuming this gives you a new IP address) and see what happens.

#35     Oct 12, 2006
  6. Thanks GTS, that sounds like a good idea/test. I will give it a go.

#36     Oct 13, 2006
  7. I just went and did it running NT. I unplugged the cat 5 and unplugged the cable modem, waited about a minute, and NT came right back up, without shutting down/reopening NT. If my ISP uses DHCP wouldn't they give me a new IP address when I reconnect? TIA

Dan

#37     Oct 17, 2006
  8. GTS

GTS

That depends on how the ISP's DHCP server is configured. You can check your assigned address by going to a site like http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/

#38     Oct 17, 2006
  9. Now that I have that, the IP address, what does it tell me? Do I need to call Comcast and ask them? TIA

Dan

#39     Oct 17, 2006
  10. GTS

GTS

No sorry, I meant you can check your IP address (using that site) before you unplug and then after and see if it changed.

#40     Oct 17, 2006