Dual Wan Routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JayS, Sep 14, 2006.

1. duard

duard

My Linksys failsover reliably however the whole process which includes reconnection with the broker feed, initiation, etc. takes almost 30 seconds. I purposely have a slight delay (this can be programmed in the dual wan router)in the event that my broadband hiccups as it is faster to keep the same connection than failover on every hiccup (my broadband hiccups alot and is why I have dual wan to start with) and this was determined empirically.

In any event two boxes, two independent routers, two independent broadband connections, two exchanges, and two brokers would be best for safety and redundancy.

#21     Sep 15, 2006
  2. Anyone trades with a TT X_Trader w/Tibco setup and Dual Wan Routers?

I'm wondering which are the steps to follow should the dual wan router switches the DSL connection...automatically.

Don't think the Guardian flashing yellow is able to continue to works flawlessly with X_trader (without quitting, stopping Guardian, restarting it after the new ISP is up and re-logging into TT) while a new ISP is running.... or it works really?!

Any idea?

#22     Sep 15, 2006
  3. GTS

GTS

Any secure connection is going to go down when you failover ISP's because your IP address changes.

If the existing connection to your broker didn't go down during a failover then its time to find a new broker.

TCP does not have mechanism to allow the source IP address to change in the middle of an existing session.

#23     Sep 16, 2006
  4. Thanks Duard you bring up a good point, about staying with the same rather than constantly switching over.

Dan

#24     Sep 16, 2006
  5. I went the two independent connection route on two different computers. Cable on one... and dsl the other..

#25     Sep 16, 2006
  6. I have two DSLs, not cable here but with 2 routers access on 3 PCs; all 3 are able to access to the 2 DSLs as it needed.

#26     Sep 17, 2006
  7. chisel

chisel

What is Tibco? I used a dual wan router with TT, but failover is not speedy. At least 1 minute will elapse before Guardian picks up the new connection. So I dumped the dual wan and now run two computers - one with cable and one with DSL. If the connection (cable) on my primary trading computer goes down, I can log into TT on the other computer and be up and running much faster than waiting for the dual wan to switch over and then wait for Guardian to go yellow again. I have Guardian running at all times on both computers.

IB's TWS picked up the new connection very quickly on a dual wan router - maybe 10 seconds.

#27     Sep 17, 2006
  8. TIB®--CO Rendezvous is one of the configuration possible with TT; Global Futures offers this setup with GHCO. rvd is the name you then find on Task Manager.
    http://www.globalfutures.com/platforms/tt/tibco.asp

I also have always another PC with the alternative DSL already up and running , Guardian flashing yellow, and the credentials readily written on X_trader login window just in case for a prompt logon.

However I'm looking for a step-by-step procedure to be able to switch from a DSL/cable to another DSL/cable connection using the same PC: not always stopping the guardian, running the DSL back and re-starting guardian works. I asked for TT about an official reply. Let's wait...

#28     Sep 17, 2006
  9. Hamlet

Hamlet

10. ahhh yes...ok that should be the next step for me...I can see that this makes sense...I installed my applications on both machines to cover each other,. where with your configuration allows me to increase my screen real estate. ....its just that I like to separate my internet surfing from the trading network...

question...If one DSL goes out don't they both? if its a phone line prob? don't you need one cable broadband and one DSL connection for this redundancy to make sense?

I also have a quiet 4-stroke Yamaha gasoline powered generator (a little blue one with a handle on top for 550 bucks off of the internet) for power failures, and it will cover extended power failures too...several hours before I must add gas...(I fire it up regularly to keep it it maintenenced and sure that it works...funny I turned the breakers off and pretended I had a power failure and it all went smooth with my tests...Wifey hates it when I test her on her trading shift...hehe...)

Michael B.

#30     Sep 17, 2006