dual wan router, hotbrick

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gaj, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Try dslreports.com for speed tests.

#41     Mar 4, 2007
  2. dc101

dc101

#42     Mar 5, 2007
  3. gaj

gaj

ok, after talking with a friend of mine, i gave up on my old setup of having (cable + dsl -> hotbrick -> linksys -> pc) and now have moved it to:

hotbrick split to pc / linksys.

and the first part - pc - works!

only 2 months after having hotbrick :)

my only question left now - is there a way i can verify that my DSL is working short of a failover happening / not happening? i've got cable into WAN1, DSL into WAN2...

thanks...

#43     Mar 24, 2007
  4. gaj

gaj

never mind - i figured out i can shut the cable modem's internet part off....

and the failover isn't happening, so i'll have to go back to the drawing board.

#44     Mar 24, 2007
  5. LJT

LJT

I got the Xincom 502, its been pretty stable for me but was wondering about certain configs on it. Would anyone mind posting their configurations for this router to get the best possible speed? thanks

Larry

#45     Mar 27, 2007
  6. I have both the Hotbrick LB-2 and the Xincom DPG502.

The hardware is IDENTICAL...
    Made in the same factory in Taiwan...
    But painted differently...
    With SLIGHTLY different firmware.

For both these routers you must CHOSE:

(a) load balancing

OR

(b) failover

And, in theory, cannot have both.

I have been running the LB-2 for 3 months... Rogers Cable + Magma DSL.
    (To get it to work with DSL... you MUST drop the MTU to about 1400).

I have it set to "load balance" at the packet level.
    And it has pretty much doubled my bandwidth.

But the interesting thing is...
    My internet is FAR more reliable than before...
    Basically rock solid.

This implies that I am getting ** some failover ** at the packet level...
    Since packets can be sent or re-sent on either connection.

I am very happy with the LB-2.

If you can get it to work...
    For $100/month it's almost as good as a dedicated line costing $500-$1000/month.

#46     Mar 27, 2007
  7. duard

duard

That is interesting.

I think what may be happening is the load balancing in effect must be acting as an ultra short-term fail-over.

This is why ET is good. Once a year you learn something useful...:D :) :p

Thanks

#47     Mar 28, 2007
  8. I would like to see some configs for the xincom as well....
    Thanks

#48     Apr 21, 2007
  9. SDticks

SDticks

Has anyone tried the peplink balance 30?

#49     Aug 2, 2007
  10. If you have two DSL connections and two normal routers, you can run two networks with one trading machine on fallover connected via dual ethernet ports on the mother board. You just connect one network cable from each router to the motherboard. One network will always be up.

This is a good cheap option if you don't need all your machines connected to the net all the time.

Runningbear

I am reviewing my options regarding my 2 broadband connections. My present set up is as follows. I have 2 internet connections with 2 separate routers connected to 2 separate machines. One of the connections is a normal dsl connection 2mg and the other is an adsl2+ connection 7mg with 0 contention on this line. As far as I know you need a specific router for adsl2+ as it won't run on a normal dsl router. Can you confirm this? At present I have a normal router for the dsl connection and an adsl2+ router for the adsl2+ line. Your recommendation of the Dual Ethernet Card sounds good to me. My question is do I specifically need a DUAL ETHERNET CARD for my machines or can I just install a new single slot ethernet card and run it along side the present ethernet card in each machine with the same fallover effect as the Dual Ethernet Card? Could the Hotbrick LB-2 dual wan router run both dsl and adsl2+ lines at the same time either using load balancing or just fallover? Do most dual Wan Routers support any type of broadband connections? How is the support for the Hotbrick? Where could I buy one in Europe?

Any insight and guidance you can provide is most welcome.

Thank you

#50     Aug 30, 2007