dual wan router, hotbrick

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gaj, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Ha-ha-ha.

I'm so happy with 1 week of 100% uptime (really is a difference)...
    That I have yet to try the old "physically unplugging" broadband wires.
    When you make 300 trades/day...
    One becomes totally paranoid about tinkering with systems that are running uneventfully.

Now that I have 3 days off... I will get around to testing this.

I have been getting Classic ILX quotes for 6-7 years...
    It's a legacy product of Thomson Financial...
    The new workstation is called Thomson One.
    It's a true pro level "rock-solid" product at about $300/month...
    With probably a few 100,000 installed base.

But I have built a custom VB6/Excel Quote Manager front-end...
    And this is a serious thing that tracks about 500 stocks I follow...
    And ranks/analyzes then exactly as I need to see them in real-time.
    (Would probably take 1,000-1,500 hours to design/code my ILX front end from scratch).

Now that IB...
    Has finally released a well coded Excel/VBA front end for their FREE quotes:

http://www.pathcom.com/~gzt/TwsDde.xls

I am rewriting IB's gift right now to be a clone of my ILX front end...
    And will use IB quotes for BACKUP ONLY.

Within about a month...
    I'll be able to give a very thorough direct head-to-head assessment of...
    Pro level $300/month Thomson ILX versus free IB quotes.

#21     Jan 13, 2007
  2. gaj

gaj

ok, i've played around with things for a few days. can't try failover because of this - maybe someone can help?

i have:

cable, dsl, linksys wireless router/firewall. taking the linksys out is NOT an option.

went to do hotbrick, saw that it requires 192.168.1.1 as an admin webpage, same as linksys.

any way to configure my setup, or do i have to return the hotbrick?

hotbrick's customer service is non-existent; their website says "live chat available 9-5 EST" and it wasn't available at ALL this week during that time, and my emails sent either late tuesday or early wednesday, and friday (asing the above question) have gone unanswered, and i gave them 2 different, unrelated email addresses to respond to.

thanks..

#22     Jan 13, 2007
  3. Maybe I don't understand, you can change the IP address of the hotbrick or the linksys.

I run both on my network, the hotbrick connected to both data feeds up-linked to the linksys router/wireless access point. Is that what you are trying to do?

Regards,
    TG

#23     Jan 13, 2007
  4. I am running the HotBrick... with an old Linksys uplinked.

First the HotBrick:

My DSL would not work or be super erratic...
    Until I dropped the MTU from 1492 to 1400...
    Since then works great.
    (Also upgrade firmware to latest).

To uplink the Linksys...

(1) Set Linksys address to 192.168.1.200...
    So your browser will find it at that address.
    And it's DHCP space to 192.168.1.201 and up...
    Thus eliminating any possible conflict with the HotBrick.

(2) Disable DHCP on the Linksys...
    The HotBrick will provide that function for both routers.

(3) Run a standard RJ-45 cable from any HotBrick LAN port to the LinkSys WAN port.

You may have to reset one or both routers...
    When I did not do this uplink properly...
    The HotBrick would hang and need reset.

#24     Jan 13, 2007
  5. jumper

jumper

what kind of speeds are you guys getting with hotbrick?

#25     Jan 13, 2007
  6. gaj

gaj

thanks hound dog...i've been offline a couple days with a food sickness; i'll try this out today if i have enough energy to wal through stuff. if not, at least i can do it soon; appreciate the response...

#26     Jan 15, 2007
  7. Anyone knows something about this issues with Ninjatrader and TT X_Trader?

Will they be able to keep the DOM connected (MD Trader or SuperDOM, whatever)?

:confused:

#27     Jan 30, 2007
  8. I asked Ray from NT, he didn't want to answer it. I think he is concerned about liability. Someone else, with some computer background, on ET said it probably wouldn't work because of how TCP/IP works. I requires a secure connection which comes from an IP address, which will change when you switch ISP's. I wish an ex IT guy could chime in here. I would love a definitive answer on that too!

#28     Jan 30, 2007
  9. #29     Feb 1, 2007
  10. I installed a dual WAN D-link DI-LB604 router and plugged into it 2 connections, one cable and one dsl. The setup was easy. When i was operating it in "Load Balance" mode (ie combine the connections to obtain higher throughput), i had problems with secure webpages. I'm sure there's a way to make all SSL traffic go through one connection only to avoid this problem, but i haven't had time to figure it out. So I switched to "Backup mode" where only 1 connection is used and then if that connection fails then the router switches to the other one automatically, but there's no advantage in terms of speed. In this mode, it works well and no problems with secure websites.

#30     Feb 6, 2007