Dual WAN links for TWS

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by stochastix, Nov 18, 2020.

1. If I have two internet connections, can TWS use both of the connections to automatically load-balance/fail-over to the second connection ? Or do I have to do this on the OS/router side and just reconnect if it fails?

2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

shop for dual wan auto failover routers

3. Yes. I can do that, or configure some linux software to make a virtual load-balanced interface. This router looks good: [Peplink]

I was hoping that TWS could maintain two links.. because in case one blinks out, it will take a few seconds for the other to reconnect and have to type the password in again, etc. do the 2-factor thing, etc

4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

so you have an ip now and tws can not run on two ips, so the solution is a dual wan router it will take your two ip's and then setup a dhcp private ip address that tws runs off of. that way tws is not directly looking for either of the two wan's it's just looking for data on it's ip. it's seamless i have done it many times.

5. Oh, great, so it shouldn't ask me to login twice, I'll give it a go. Thanks Mark

6. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

yea i have also used that in the past it seems to work their logout is a bitch.. just stupid

7. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Good stuff. Interestingly, the Killer Network software does an auto roll over for me. Most I get is an indication of a lost connection and then a reconnect with IB. But this is with a hardline and a cellular to wireless connections. The cellular to wireless is slower, but not that much as compared to the over all response time. FWIW.

stochastix likes this.
  8. Read the README. This only works for TWS/Gateway version 972 and lower. From 974 onward does this not work any more.

stochastix likes this.
  9. TWS relies on the internet connection of the computer it runs on. So it is up to your computer to maintain an internet connection.

#10     Nov 18, 2020