Dual Wan (cable & dsl) solutions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mammoth, Aug 7, 2002.

1. I don't even know what a WAN is. Reminds me of that song by Wang Chung...

Definitely UPS is a priority to me, owing to my location in the lightning capital of the world.

#31     Aug 10, 2002
  2. Im suprised you never got one...but I have to wonder: if electricty goes down, doesn't your internet connection go down as well? Doesnt the cable or DSL company require power to run their networks? Or do they have backup so their networks will continue to run even when there is a blackout?

#32     Aug 10, 2002
  3. Guess they're backed up. Like the phone company...always able to keep that 3 volts or whatever coming no matter what the power company did.

Of course, your cable modem is still subject to the power company.

And if the power goes, and I have no UPS, I don't notice that the internet is lost, too, cause my screens are black.

#33     Aug 10, 2002
  4. ...isn't new or original but has proven itself many times.

I continuously run both my PC's and a laptop off two inverters which are powered by four deep cycle, lead-acid batteries and a good charger. It isn't the most elegant solution...you wouldn't want to do it if there wasn't sufficient space and ventilation, for example. But it does the job nicely and has the added plus of being a good surge suppressor. It is fairly expensive to set up (batteries, charger, inverters) However, it gives me about two hours of reserve power and has worked well in the past.

Should my frame relay line and ISP go down, the plan is to bring up my trading software on my "email" machine (the laptop); it takes less than thirty seconds. I have it using a dial up to connect to my backup ISP (Earthlink) and is always on and connected during trading.

I suppose that something may come along for which I have no contingency plan but, so far, all of problems that I've encountered can be handled by my backups.

Hope this helps...

#34     Aug 10, 2002
  5. that reminds me of Gilligan's Island. I'm thinking of experimenting with my children's hamster's wheel being belted to a generator:p.

The backup for that is carrier pigeon.

#35     Aug 10, 2002
  6. Jordan

Jordan

That is an excellent solution airspeed. Of course, I am taking bids at my home for the whole house to run that way, with the charge comng from solar, so I am biased.

Hey at least when the power goes out, you can still watch a DVD!

#36     Aug 10, 2002
  7. yes, the cable and the telephone companies are very good about not losing power, they have their own backup diesel generators that can keep all the networks going. I have never lost cable or telephone except for lightening hitting their equipment in my local area or a line cut.

#37     Aug 12, 2002