Dual-Processors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SIZEUP, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Banjo

Banjo

2. gnome

gnome

If an application is hogging your CPU (which is most likely), no hardware will provide adequate compensation.... That is, no matter how much computer you get, the application will hog it all up like your present problem. Check your Task Manager/Processes and see if you can identify the offender. If that's the problem, seek different software for that task.

#12     Dec 21, 2003
  3. nitro

nitro

Hmmm,

This already provides a clue. I would say that before you go off and spend more money on hardware, that you analyse where the hang up is.

Without really understandingwhat you are doing, I would not be surprised to find that it is not the CPU or the RAM that is causing you grief, but perhaps the fact that the borkers API on the other end of the large transaction is sending back stuff that your application is getting confused by. I have seen this kind of problems with some brokers API.

However, I just read your follow up post where you state that you close all the other apps. I assume that what you posted there helps alleviate your symptoms.

Hmmm, try this. Close each app one at a time, and send your basket. Close another app, and send another basket. Once you get your baskets sent in a responsive manner, take note of the _last_ application you closed.

Now, start the experiment again,with all the apps open. This time, close the app that you took note in the last experiement _first_. If this makes your baskets responsive after only closing this one app, then the problem has almost certainly nothing to do with memory or CPU overload, but with that _particular_ app. If on the other hand, the baskets more or less start getting sent responsively with about the same number of apps closed as the last experiment, it is likely, but not certain, that somehow all thes apps are overwhelming your computer and making your basket sending program "time out" or even crash.

To answer your original (genral) question about dual CPU's - yes without question, but the answer is a little more complicated than I can really explain here (some programs suffer more than they gain from the massive penalty paid by the context switch in the CPU, but again, this depends on the OS and kernel used... Too complicated for a discussion here...)

Do a search on nitro and TCP/IP stack dual...

nitro

#13     Dec 21, 2003
  4. nitro

nitro

No.

nitro

#14     Dec 21, 2003
  5. ahh there he is.

i knew he couldn't resist a "double-processor" thread :-/

#15     Dec 21, 2003
  6. Do you get joy out of being a trouble maker? What is the purpose of your post?

Michael B.

#16     Dec 21, 2003
  7. nitro

nitro

Possibly. I have seen situations where HT actually makes an application slower. For example:

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/printable/article/0,aid,106898,00.asp

or

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200203131/dual-10.html

As of that writting, I believe Win2K did not support HT. However, I think it does now, and I believe that you want to turn off HT under Win2K, but maybe make use of it under XP. I forget where I heard this, but I will try to find it...

I have still to make up my own mind on this...

nitro

#17     Dec 21, 2003
  8. I've been running mine for a while now. Both for some of my graphics work as well as general testing. And for most applications that you would think might be able to use the added processor, you won't get much "Average Trading User" performance boosting.

Even your proposed application is a stretch for true speed enhancement unless the software and the receiver of the data on the other end are tweaked for the interaction. Yes, the receiver in this instance is important. You're only as fast as your slowest link. And if the trouble is on the other end, oh well.

I'd start with the task manager when you have most of these apps open to see where the possible bottleneck is. Further, without knowing what apps they are, I am just shooting in the dark with any suggestions in that arena. So I won't.

As I have stated before, IMHO, unless the application has been set for dual/hyper usage you're just hoping in a major way. And in many instances, you're generally imagining a speed increase. Not all, just many. But to some, nanoseconds do add up. :)

#18     Dec 22, 2003
  9. The solution I have found to be most effective for many HOG applications (several trading platforms etc.) is the Belkin electronic switch box with audio and usb. With just the touch of one button it will instantly switch the monitor, keyboard, mouse, usb and speakers to a different CPU. I use the four port model for four CPUs (only a hundred and some dollars) but I think they also make a two port model. This allows me to get a lot more life out of some of my old CPUs and give some of my HOG applications the horse power they like.

Also, on some of my CPUs I do not run the monitor through the switch box so I never lose visual of the application or open windows. Then if I want to utilize that application or CPU with just the touch of one button my keyboard and mouse are live on that CPU.

Actually I also use manual switch boxes in SERIES with the electric Belkin to give me a very wide aray of screen and CPU options because on some CPUs I run the Matrox four monitor card.

I have found this to be a great solution.

Good Luck

#19     Dec 22, 2003
  10. maxpi

maxpi

Dual processors won't double your speed. The multi-processor rule of thumb is that a quadrupling of processors will double your speed so a second processor might get you not that much more speed. That is probably the reason for the unpopularity of dual processor setups, they can't get you that much, especially since most apps won't take advantage. Better to offload the unnecessary apps to another PC, Ie use one PC for trading and another one for net surfing, games, etc. and figure out what you can do about hog apps.

#20     Dec 23, 2003