Dual monitors from a notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wiridil, Feb 25, 2010.

1. LOL. Cheap skate

#11     Feb 27, 2010
  2. wiridil

wiridil

#12     Feb 27, 2010
  3. I don't think you need to worry about that. These USB-VGA/DVI devices have drivers that would work. Windows (XP, Vista, etc.) supports multiple monitors and you can opt to have the added monitor displaying the same image or a different part of your desktop.

#13     Feb 27, 2010
  4. zdreg

zdreg

I thought you were kidding. years ago I bought a hp pavillion zt3000 for $1600 which allowed you to have a dual monitor. today a more power computer goes for less than $400 without the dual monitor feature. I wonder what else it has that u cannot get now.

it was also built like a tank.

#14     Feb 27, 2010
  5. I agree that $1800 is way too steep for having a gadget for the purpose of projecting your images to a few external monitors from your laptop.

You can buy a desktop computer for way less than that. e.g. $500. There is some software that allows you to share image displays on a second computer over the network connection. I did a trial before and it worked okay.

#15     Feb 27, 2010
  6. zdreg

zdreg

would you please specify ?

thanks.

#16     Feb 27, 2010
  7. If you travel a lot, some of us do, a laptops with 2 or 3 extra monitors is handy but I agree $1800 is out of hand.

I travel with a laptop, two travel monitors, a portable printer and micro projector. It all fits in a carry on bag.

#17     Feb 27, 2010
  8. MaxiVista

http://www.maxivista.com/

For $39.95

Displaying your laptop's image on another PC/laptop using the network connection.

Try it and see if you like it.

#18     Feb 27, 2010
  9. wiridil

wiridil

I only have 1 laptop, so that won't really work for me.

#19     Mar 1, 2010
  10. I have the same problem I am attempting to connect two external monitors to my laptop. What I have done is obtained a VGA splitter that allows me to connect two external VGA devices to a single VGA port on my laptop. What has happened is exactly what I thought would happen (but hoped it would not), both external monitors are showing the same picture. My laptop screen is screen 1 and my first and second external monitors are screen 2 . The external monitors show the same picture and for me that defeats the purpose of having two of them. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion on how make the second external monitor screen 3, so I have 3 separate images on each screen. I have tried display options but my Vista laptop seems to think that I have only one external monitor and there is no mention of the second one. I am attaching a screenshot of the splitter so you can visualize what I am attempting to do.

#20     Mar 15, 2010