Dual Monitors and a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Samson77, Dec 28, 2005.

1. gnome

gnome

There's a lesson here for all ETers....

1. A card *designed* as a dualhead, workstation card (like Matrox or Nvidia Quadro NVS 280), will display dual monitor very well.

2. A *gaming* card where the 2nd output port was an add-on afterthought (just so it could claim "dual"), is not necessarily going to be the best on both ports.

I've heard many times how the 2nd port on some ATI Radeon cards is not the best display.... not that much of a surprise, really. ATI is primarily in the performance and gaming market and not the multi-monitor workstation market. (That being said, I ran a rig with 4 ATI singlehead cards.... perfectly, for 6-7 years with absolutely zero troubles.)

#21     Dec 28, 2005
  2. Works fine on my ATI Radeon 64MB card that comes standard with the Inspiron 9300. The trouble he is having is with a laptop-based GeForce with 256MB. I still think his best option is to downgrade to the ATI Radeon to save a good chunk of money and, possibly, to resolve his problem. This is not valid if he intends to do some gaming or video editing/3D on that laptop.

#22     Dec 28, 2005
  3. gnome

gnome

That's true, but it's not a bad idea to have a separate machine for trading, if possible.

#23     Dec 28, 2005
  4. I think in 5 more years Desktops will no longer exist.

I just don't see what's taking so long every other technology is getting SMALLER and more powerful ACCEPT pc's.

I don't get this at all.

#24     Dec 28, 2005
  5. gnome

gnome

I don't agree. Notebooks are too proprietary and difficult to work on. I don't see the desktop computer going away for a long time, if ever.

#25     Dec 28, 2005

6. Well I hope they at least get lighter and they put friggin handles on the cases (whats up with that?) because moving them around is a royal pain.:p

#26     Dec 28, 2005
  7. I'm pretty hardcore on most aspects about the PC except for gaming. It took a while for me to warm up to a laptop. Now its my preference simply because of mobility. When remote exporting of desktops becomes mainstream, perhaps then I will go back to desktops in multiple locations. However, since I am on the go often, the widescreen 9X00 provides me the feel of a desktop without having to be fixed to a particular locale...

#27     Dec 28, 2005
  8. gnome

gnome

You mean like a suitcase? Years ago early portable PCs were like sewing machine size and heft... they had a carrying handle. :D

#28     Dec 28, 2005
  9. edil

edil

I travel often so also have an issue about moving things around. I am considering a Dell laptop or this alternative PC http://club.aopen.com.tw/news/News_ShowAnswer.aspx?RecNo=8903

Easy to move around and small enough to stick in the briefcase like a laptop. Has expansion capability like pc but parts are the same as laptops (pentium m, slim cd) except you can use a regular 3.5 harddrive.

#29     Dec 28, 2005
  10. edil

edil

FT71, can you connect 3 DVI monitors to the ATI Radeon 64MB on your 9300?

thanks

#30     Dec 28, 2005