Dual Monitors and a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Samson77, Dec 28, 2005.

1. #11     Dec 28, 2005
  2. I see both on the link and I checked my buddies 9300 and he has all 3 as your posted link shows, left to right SVid/DVI/VGA. It's the blue and white outputs on the bottom right side. The blue is the VGA. The white is the DVI... All the way to the left is the SVid... The tech specs list ...

Video: 15-pin monitor connector

Digital Video Interface (DVI)

S-Video: 7-pin mini-DIN connector

#12     Dec 28, 2005
  3. Strange.... my 9300 has a DVI, VGA and S-Video output.

Which ones are you using? I'm a bit confused now.

There should be a white port (DVI), Blue port (VGA) and a circular port (S-Video). On inspecting the image on the Dell website you provided, yours should be the same. The S-Video port will always give you a poor quality image. Do not use this with your monitor.

#13     Dec 28, 2005
  4. I see the circular port to the very far left but how do I hook that one up ?

#14     Dec 28, 2005
  5. OK. Perhaps some misunderstanding. So your hassle is with DVI/VGA. Correct? Not SVid/DVI...

#15     Dec 28, 2005
  6. You DON'T want to use that one. You should only use it to connect to a TV or projector to view movies, DVD's etc. You should only be using the DVI and VGA ports (white and blue) ports.

Is this how you had the monitors hooked up before? Have you followed my previous suggestion?

#16     Dec 28, 2005
  7. I personally would go out and buy a nice 56 inch plasma/LCD T.V. and hook it in the S-Video slot.:D

On a more serious note

Dell computers from my experiance aren't the best for setting up a network of trading montiors, but I see that some people are happy. I prefer Alianwear or Sony computers. Anyhow, your best best if you want to avoid the problem is take back your video card and replace it with a video card that has at least 512DDR+ and that supports multi-monitor usage. If you don't like that recommendation I will tell you to go out and get two stand alone computers one for each trading montior, by doing it this way there is less wear and tear on your DELL.

I hope this helps!

Jurgen

#17     Dec 28, 2005
  8. Thanks folks !

I appreciate all the help and it looks like it is a card issue.

I just got off the phone with Dell Support and they had me change the resolution and the shadowing disappeared so thier conclusion was that even though it supports 1280 by 1024 I will have to live with the shadowing.

Apparently the 9100 has a gaming card in it and that makes all the difference :confused:

Sheesh.

I have a destop that runs 4 monitors with 2 64 bit cards that I paid $65 for that runs way better then this 256 card.

Crazy :mad:

#18     Dec 28, 2005
  9. Just so you know, you don't need more than 64MB unless you need to do some gaming or 3D graphics with it. For trading, the ATI Radeon 64MB does the job with 3 monitors just fine. You might want to return it and get that version and get a refund.

#19     Dec 28, 2005
  10. DITTO. I have default configuration on my laptop. They tried to convince me that I needed to upgrade my vid card to get dual monitors. But then I asked if default config comes with both a DVI and VGA port and they said Yes, so I knew right away that the factory config provided me what I was looking for... I would have needed to upgrade if I wanted a docking station.

#20     Dec 28, 2005