Dual Monitors and a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Samson77, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Hello folks

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop and I am running 2 Dell 1905fp 19's off of the DVI and S video connectors.

Here is the problem though the one monitor connected to the DVI is "shadowing" text on certain backgrounds and secondly the brightness and contrast is much less then the other monitor.

The video card is the Nvidia Ge Force 256 mgb.

Any suggestions ?

2. Try one of the following:

1. Make sure the DVI cable is not longer than 6 ft.

2. Go into the monitor's menu system and set it to Auto Adjust under Image Settings.

3. Make sure you are running at the correct Native resolution for that monitor (1280x1024). Go into Display Settings for that.

4. Switch the DVI cable you are using now with another one (from the other monitor that is not using the DVI cable) just to eliminate the cable as a fault.

Try these and let us know if it resolves anything. I also have a new 9300 but I haven't tried it with your setup yet. If your problems aren't solved, I might plug in my 1905's and see if I can duplicate the problem.

3. FuturesTrader

Thanks for ALL the help.

Tried everything but it didn't fix the problem.

Any other suggestions?

4. Mak's suggestion was my next suggestions. I would switch the cables on the monitors and check to see what happens. If you have the same kind of problem, then you have eliminated the cables and monitors as the issue.

I'm assuming you are not using any funny adaptors or KVM switches or anything like that. Right?

5. Have you tried connecting one of the monitors to the DVI-D and the other to the VGA output??? That is how I currently have mine connected. Then again, mine is 9200 and not the 9300.

MAK!

6. I have the 9100 Dell Inspiron Notebook.
    I have a Anolog and Digital video output.
    Can I hook up external monitors on both?
    If so ... cool.

7. YES!!!!!!! This is was the clincher for me so that I could just pack both monitors and the laptop and be good to go anywhere for dual monitor setup... There is negligible color difference as would be expected but you'd have to be rather anal to be annoyed by it imo... Each dell monitor has both a digital and analog interface. So the only thing that is required is 1 dvi cable and 1 vga cable...

8. Switched the cables and now the other monitor is shadowing so it looks like it's a card issue :mad:

Brand new $400 card too.

Just answer me this please before I go to all this trouble is it worth all the hassles ?

Thanks

9. I didn't have any hassle. Are you still using the SVid/DVI setup or are you using the DVI/VGA setup??? If SVid/DVI, I would be curious as to whether there is a cable issue...

10. Samson,

How does that monitor perform on DVI with just DVI cable installed? Eliminate the VGA connection and just leave it so that it is on the DVI monitor only. Tell us what happens.

Also, it is probably inconsequential, but have you checked to make sure you have the latest driver installed?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html

#10     Dec 28, 2005