dual lan ports on motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Runningbear, Oct 4, 2005.

1. I've got a quick question for all the tech gurus on ET.

I just upgraded my motherboard to a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra which happens to have dual lan ports. One gigabit and one 10/100.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to run separate internet connections through each a create an autofailover set-up if the primary connections goes down?

Any advice on whether it's possible and how to set-up something like this would be much appreciated.

Runningbear

2. It should be .... but for some reason if its not then you can simply add two lan cards. In linux the failover can be done in a couple of different ways .... In $soft I beleive that the failover capability is native in the current version of the server OS ... I'm not sure what the situation is in the newest version of the $soft desktop.....

3. I do.
    Native LAN socket on mother and extra LAN card on PCI slot.
    Windows recognizes 2 local gateways.
    2 identical IPs such as 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.11.2. I dunno how to bundle 2 hardwares-gateway to a single IP from OS.
    I use 2 ISP, 2modems and 2routers. And each connects to 2 LAN socket of PC.

Redundancy stuff is tricky. If the software detect the disconnection and try to reconnect, it may works.

For instance, eSignal datamanager can reconnect another local IP if one fails or disconnected, but some others can't.

4. SmoothTraderFX,

Which broker do you use? Does your broker software reconnect if the connection switches over.

Runningbear

5. Refco, RefcoPro platform.

It does not reconnect automatically to another IP. Need LogOut and LogIn proccess.