dual head cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janko, Oct 19, 2001.

1. kenstl

kenstl

for all your computer buying needs:

www.resellerratings.com

they allow buyers to post feedback about online computer parts vendors. useful after you find the best price on pricewatch, but don't know anything about the company with the best price.

it has saved me much aggravation and money.

#11     Oct 20, 2001
  2. Wirehead

Wirehead

janko,

On the RAM issue, make sure that your BIOS has been flashed with the most current update as it appears that you may be using an older computer. Also go to your motherboard site and see what the max RAM each slot will take on your particular motherboard. If it can take 512 then look at your BIOS to see if there is a slection in there for you to change that will recognize the larger RAM. Some BIOS have that some do not. If you are using Win98SE make sure that the MAX RAM setting in Start, Run, Msconfig is set to the Max amout of your RAM.

#12     Oct 21, 2001
  3. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

You need to check the spec of the motherboard to see if you bought the right kind of RAM in the right slots. Also the RAM may not put in properly, you need to remove & push into the slot agin.

I am checking into the dual head probability also since I am going to use real tick. My friend said simply buy another graphic card. It is cheaper & function the same. Just install WIN2000 pro with 1 card & add 1 on later. Any comment?

#13     Oct 21, 2001
  4. Wirehead

Wirehead

zxcv1fu

What your friend tells you is true about adding another vid card later, but be aware that not all vid cards work well together. The newer the vid card probably the better. Also vid cards from the same manufacturer may be better.

#14     Oct 22, 2001
  5. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

I check the motherboard spec in detail last night. There is only 1 AGP Pro slot. The rest are PCI slots. I think I better get a dual head AGP card. Wonder if I can connect 1 monitor instead of 2.

#15     Oct 22, 2001
  6. Wirehead

Wirehead

zxcv1fu

You can use agp or PCI vid cards they will both work and if you use a dualhead, yes you can connect only 1 monitor to it if you want to.

#16     Oct 22, 2001
  7. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

Now I have to go find a dual-head card now.

#17     Oct 22, 2001
  8. janko

janko

check this out, i was searching on pricewatch.com for hours and came across www.accubyte.com they had a ati radeon 32mb agp dualhead for 69 bucks, now that to me was a good deal, i've looked all over the place. check it out. and please let us know if you find a better deal!!! thnx 'n good luck

#18     Oct 22, 2001
  9. Magna

Magna Administrator

i was searching on pricewatch.com for hours and came across www.accubyte.com they had a ati radeon 32mb agp dualhead for 69 bucks

Be careful, although it's a good price, it's the OEM version. Meaning no box, no manual, no connectors, no drivers. Now you can do without all that stuff (since you can get the drivers from the ATI website) except the adapter. If you have 2 monitors with standard VGA connectors you will need the adapter since the card comes with one vga port and one DVI (flat-panel) port.

I've seen some OEM versions come with the necessary adapter, but most don't, so be sure to check first with accubyte.com (or wherever you get it).

#19     Oct 23, 2001
  10. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

#20     Oct 23, 2001