Dual hard drives ... any good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fearless9, May 31, 2007.

1. OK, I am convinced, I will stay with two separate machines.

Next question.

Can I link my machines through the same two flat screens, thereby getting rid of my third screen.
    At the moment I have one machine with two screens and another machine with one screen.

#11     May 31, 2007
  2. mikat

mikat

I am not sure where to expand :)

Backup to the secondary hard drive is fast and easy.

The two machines are networked via a router, which also provides a hardware firewall. I view it as a must have.

#12     May 31, 2007
  3. You could eliminate the third LCD and second keyboard/mouse by connecting a 2 port KVM to the systems; fairly inexpensive solution - IOGEAR GCS62 2-Port PS/2 KVM switch goes for around 25 or 30 bucks. you will be limited to working on one system at a time (not always a bad thing...)

#13     May 31, 2007
  4. Thanks sax.
    The reason for all my questions is because I live in buenos aires and communications between myself and my computor guy can go astray so easily and I do mean astray.

If I install a 2KVM, how do I switch from one machine to another.

#14     May 31, 2007
  5. simple touch of the switch on the front of the kvm; instant...

sorry to hear about your 'IT' guy... you'd think he would want to gain your business by good communication and acting like a partner..... find another one ...

#15     May 31, 2007
  6. mikat

mikat

I have a KVM switch also with only the keyboard and mouse connected.

It can be operated via the keyboard also, which seems to work well for me.

#16     May 31, 2007
  7. He does and he is a good guy.
    It is just that the thought process here works differently to what we are used to and the way in which we are now communicating here on ET.

There are some imports here offering their services but that really pushes the problem one step further down the chain.

I think that this is the best way.
    I learn from you and give my guy a written brief plus diagrams.

#17     May 31, 2007
  8. thanks mikat

#18     May 31, 2007
  9. nah i personally don\'t think so. i prefer external hard drive

#19     May 31, 2007
  10. gnome

gnome

I take this to mean you are running 2 computers, each with its own monitor(s)?

#20     Sep 25, 2007