Dual-core CPU: Win2k Pro vs. XP Pro 32bit environment

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bernard111, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Is there any difference using a dual-core CPU in Win2k Pro vs. XP Pro environment?

-Are both the Windows versions able to manage these CPUs effectively? I mean 1 dual-core CPU per system, not multiple dual-core CPUs.

2. gnome

gnome

Not 100% sure about this, but I don't think Win2k supports dualcore CPUs... there have been no chipsets to accommodate it(?).

3. Thanks for the input.

I read on a HP web page about their dual-core based products:

>>Dual-core support requires the following OSes:
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Server (will recognize each core as a processor)
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server (will recognize each core as a processor)
    Microsoft Windows 2003 Server, Standard Edition (will recognize each processor socket as a processor)
    Microsoft Windows 2003 Server, Enterprise Edition (will recognize each processor socket as a processor)
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Update 5
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update 1
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 with web maintenance update applied
    >>

This would confirm your thesis
    but according other sources :

>>Only multiprocessing operating systems can take advantage of dual core processors such as Windows NT, 2K, XP, Unix/Linux etc.
    >>

In this statement the Win2k seems included.

So anyone knows a definitive reply about this Wink detail?:confused:

4. gnome

gnome

Even WinXP is supported in dualcore by only a couple of chipsets... and they are quite recent.

Win2K Pro looks like it might support dualcore, but it would still need a cooperating chipset... and I doubt any will develop considering that Win2K is on the way out.

5. I would use a NForce4 SLI chipset on an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe for an AMD64 3800+ X2; how can I know whether this chipset supports Win2k Pro?

6. gnome

gnome

Reference both the CPU system requirements and the chipset/mobo system requirements. If they both list Win2K, you'll be good to go.

7. I found that Nvidia Nforce4 AMD/Intel chipsets supports the dual-core CPUs but still I cannot find whether Win2k fully supports dual-core CPUs or only dual CPU systems:

Is really the same things at OS-level?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

Also @ AMD web site cannot find a specific reference to X2 CPUs in wink2k pro environment....but only a general >>Purchase with Confidence
    Founded in 1969, AMD has shipped more than 240 million PC processors worldwide. Customers can depend on the AMD Athlon 64 processor and AMD for compatibility and reliability. AMD processors undergo extensive testing to help ensure compatibility with Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT®, Windows 2000, as well as Linux and other PC operating systems.>>

:confused:

8. duard

duard

XP Pro and 64 bit XP Pro supports dual core. Dual core, hyperthreading, and 2 CPU's. A dual core single CPU counts as one. So you can run Windows XP Pro or 64 bit XP Pro and have 2 x dual core cpu's (essentially 4 cpu's) But none of the commonly used 3rd party software supports 64 bit yet so it's not really gonna help you much unless you are editing media and using XP 64 bit Pro.

Windows 2K does not. Server 2003 does.

I researched this and chatted to some people who are supposed to know ( I am just a user with an interest in low cost easy to use fast systems) and that is what I was told.

The thing about XP Pro 64 bit is it can use 128 Gb not just 4 Gb of RAM like XP pro and 120 TB virtual memory so if need massive amounts of available memory to do your task that is where it will help you. I suppose if you were running huge ongoing database calculations it might help you but many of these problems/solutions are being sorted out right now with regard to OS and multi-core, OS and 64 bit, OS and 3rd party software support of 64 bit. So I think in 1 - 2 years all these issues will be mostly resolved and the hardware of course is already in the pipeline which means that prices of existing equipment will drop substantially and the new stuff will simply kick-ass at the current price tag.

9. >>Windows 2K does not. Server 2003 does.>>

Where /the source / did you read the Win2k Pro is excluded?

10. duard

duard

From Microsoft.com:

Dual processor support Unlike Windows 98, which was uniprocessor-based, Windows 2000 Professional supports dual processors.

Sorry about the confusion. The rest of the stuff I posted I believe is accurate. Go to microsoft.com and use the search function all these issues are discussed at length.

#10     Mar 5, 2006