Dual Broadband and Dual WAN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by duard, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Linksys has a dual wan router that is worth a look

You can also consider a dual ethernet motherboard.

Have a look at the Gigabite K8NS series.

Runningbear

#11     Jun 5, 2005
  2. duard

duard

Noted.

It's not about the bandwidth as financial data isn't too fat, but redundancy with regards to real time tick data is important.

I read another review on the Hawking which stated failover testing is performed by the router every 8 secs. The reliability of the lower cost dual WAN routers appears suspect.

So, the perfect solution for now at least and for the smaller traders is dual links through different ISP's.

I'm thinking 2 accounts- 2 separate ISP's- 2 separate computers. One could hedge the other as well (CBOT vs. CME) in the event of exchange level failure. Only need one high end data feed as the account platform would provide RT exchange data as redundancy.

This seems like the most bang for the buck --- safest, most reliable, cheapest.

Thoughts?

#12     Jun 8, 2005
  3. After monitoring my connection with monitoring software, i noticed that the connection seemed to go down for a second or two quite regularly, but would immediatly return, so you wouldn't really your connection to switch unless your connection is lost for five or more seconds. I think in practical terms 8 seconds may be a sensible time period to cope with these types of super small outages.

Runningbear

#13     Jun 8, 2005
  4. That's exactly right.

The extra price you pay is worth it !!!

#14     Jun 8, 2005
  5. i use 2 dsl lines from sbc...

they are on different servers at sbc and if one pukes the other keeps going...

i use a xincom DPG502 with load balancing and automatic rollover...i load share by ip address so esignal logs on great...

i use two ibm dual xeon workstations with ups backups and all trading software on both machines....

one system normally runs stock trading and the other futures trading...

i have had to run all systems on one machine occasionally and it worked fine....

i use esignal, streetsmart pro,excel spreadsheets with dde links,sterling pro, predator pro, trade ideas pro...

maybe a little overkill but sure beats waiting on the phone waiting for outs...

#15     Jun 8, 2005
  6. Farside

Farside

Well, I set up my Hawking Router, and it works fine. When I disconnect the primary line, the secondary line kicks in, even on a secure connection. However, if I then reconnect the primary line, and disconnect the secondary, it doe NOT work. So it is a one shot deal, until I reboot the PC!!

Does anyone know of a way to set this up so that it is completely redundant? I really appreciate any help!!

#16     Jun 8, 2005
  7. duard

duard

Chiguy,

How's the Xincom?

Where is your office located? For instance I'm wondering about the "last mile" to the internet backbone.

I seem to be moving toward the solution you outlined albeit slowly. My connection problems are fairly new but have been pesky and made me realize I need to make my hardware, software, and feeds redundant.

Thanks,

D.

#17     Jun 8, 2005
  8. xincom works awesome...

customer support is great...a human being actually answers the phone and helps you with newbie questions....

i am approximately 9000 feet from the station....i trade remote from my home...

i got 2 phone numbers with different prefixes so as to be on two different servers at the sub station....

hope this helps...

i bought the xincom new on ebay for about 150.00 6 months ago...

#18     Jun 9, 2005
  9. duard

duard

It does. My travails continue. Comcast no-show this am for a scheduled look-see into THEIR ACKNOWLEDGED problem.

Fokkers.

SBC still no fix for improving reliability of link.

Fokkers. (german planes used in WWII)

I'm sloooooooooowly getting to your solution.

I'm ordering the xincom today. I found my reliabilty with cable and DSL actually very good but the question remains how smoothly the balancing and login functions when run through frontend and data feeds.

Funny how being a screen trader necessitates also being a programming and network engineer.
    :eek:

THANKS

#19     Jun 11, 2005
  10. Farside gave me a PM saying he got it working after reading my prior post.

For the benefit of any other prospective or current hawking dual WAN router owners here is a recap of what I have learned about the hawking dual WAN router: I think for about $50 this is a good router but it does have its flaws that need to be worked around. It drops the DNS and the default gateway numbers for one or both WAN connections. You can verify that on the Status / Internet Connection page when you use your browser to connect to the router to check on its settings. When one WAN connection goes down and the remaining connection is missing the DNS or default gateway, the router is either unable to connect to the internet (no DNS server), or thinks the WAN is disconnected because it cannot ping the default gateway (because it doesn't know what IP address to ping).

Simply manually input the DNS for both WAN connections and the Default Gateway for both connections into your hawking dual WAN router and it should fail over from one WAN connection to the other very nicely, and the load balancing should work correctly too.

Here is the link to the post on this subject:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=762290#post762290

Now that I have this router working well and am confident that it is configured correctly and am pleased with the router's performance I'm going to order a backup router for use in case this one fails. I wish you guys luck in your dual WAN pursuits and setups.

#20     Jun 13, 2005