DSL Speed Test?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Glutton, Sep 25, 2002.

1. My situation:

Just upgraded to Cable Internet from dial-up (wowza!)

-OLD PC: 166MHz P1 CPU
    128MB mem
    10 Mb/s LAN card (NIC card, etc.)

-NEW PC: 1.8GHz P4 CPU
    512MB mem
    100 Mb/s LAN card

Result:

-OLD PC Download Speed (ave): * 2.7Mb/s *
    -NEW PC Download Speed (ave): * 2.3Mb/s *:confused:

So, the bottom line is that I was blown-away that my NEW PC was slower than the OLD using the same cable Internet connection and that buying a new PC may NOT solve your issue.

-------------- SIDEBAR --------------------

(When the 3rd-party, outsourced AT&T rep "installed & tested" the new cable Internet connection on my OLD PC, the initial test results were around 200kb/s, not the promised 1.5Mb/s. He said "my PC is old and probably too slow to handle a high-speed Internet connection". I wanted this pay-per-job, outsourced, don't givashit guy out of my house so I said "fine". Then, I went to www.pcpitstop.com , ran their Internet connection test, ran their recommended "Autofix" patch and VOILA! 200kb/s to 2.7 Mb/s -- over a 10-fold increase -- in a heartbeat, for free. The reason for the incredible speed improvement was increasing what's called the Receive Buffer size. All I can say is give it a go.)
    --------------------------------------------------

As to why my NEW PC is still slower than the OLD PC, I'm still working on it....

Good luck:cool:

#11     Sep 30, 2002
  2. loveshek

loveshek

I believe the reason why your old Pc was faster than the New one is that because the old Cpu is too slow to calucurate packets every seconds. Since the new CPU manege to calucurate packets every second it shows the result of every seconds but the old pc might show results calucurated every 1.5 secs...or 2 secs...thinking its calucurating every secs..

when almost the same thing happened to me...my friend told me so..

#12     Sep 30, 2002