DSL Modems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Andre, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Andre

Andre

Hey all... thought I'd try tapping the knowledge of the community on this.

I've got Quest DSL. My desktop is older and works fine, but it's an internal modem. And it has the version of Win98 that can't connection share. My desktop is also upstairs where it can be hotter than hell in the summers.

I've got a newish laptop I'd like to hook up downstairs so I'm looking at getting another DSL modem, firewall and wireless, so I can take it wherever I want on the lower floor... and outdoors too, when it's as hot as it is now.

There's tons of modems available on eBay. But before I bid I'm wondering what folks are using and liking. I've seen several Cisco modems, 675's seem cheaper then the 678's. Any difference to folks? I'm only familiar with the INTEL and CISCO modem that Quest seems to recommend. So I'd like to especially hear from Quest users. Thanks in advance.

André

Hey, anyone got one they want to sell? Or trade? I've got a new in the box internal INTEL that's never been used.

2. I have a few dsl modems lying around.
    what is "a new in the box internal INTEL " ?

3. complex

complex

not all dsl modems are created equal. there are different standards, and different types. your dsl modem may be CAP or DTM. if you have hdsl or idsl you may have a special modem. what type of modem is in your computer now?

also, it may or may not be obvious, but you won't be able to have both modems hooked up at the same time.

complex, former verizon dsl tech support :)

4. Andre

Andre

what is "a new in the box internal INTEL" ?

Are you bustin' my chops for my poorly worded sentence? And rightfully so! ::grins:: I'll try again: I have a new, never been used (internal) Intel Pro/DSL 2100 modem from Quest. It's still wrapped and in the box, complete with manual, CD and line filters.

not all dsl modems are created equal. there are different standards, and different types. your dsl modem may be CAP or DTM. if you have hdsl or idsl you may have a special modem. what type of modem is in your computer now?

Thanks complex. I have an internal Intel Pro/DSL 2100. (I got the second one because I complained about freeze ups.) I chatted up my local ISP just now. I'm on an older CAP/ADSL connection.

Apparently the CICSO 675 works only with the older CAP circuits. The CISCO 678 will work (or so I'm told) with either CAP or DTM. If I can get a 675 for cheap, I might try that.

it may or may not be obvious, but you won't be able
    to have both modems hooked up at the same time.

Naw, I new that. I'm not connection sharing (yet). I'll use my laptop downstairs during this heat. My desktop will be shut off.

What kind of wireless/firewall/routers and cards do people recommend? Some of these conflict with some data feeds don't they? How about IB's TWS?

André

Hey, post 200!

5. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

You need to know the type of dsl/service supported by your provider: call them and ask for the details and which vendors modems they recommend or allow.

A good home setup to allow roving laptops would be to use a wireless router and wireless network card in the laptop - out of the box encryption should be used to provide a measure of protection. You might be able to get away with this but I would also have instrusion detection software on the roving computer as well.

Wireless G products seem to have much better performance over distance than b products: we have had excellent results with the Linksys Wireless G routers and cards .... Which we have in three satellite offices.

6. Dustin

Dustin

I had an internal modem through Pac Bell which they no longer distribute. It made sharing the internet connection troublesome, so I called Pac Bell a few months ago and they sent me a new free modem. Might be worth trying...

7. Andre

Andre

Complex... do you know anything about how you switch a Cisco 675 or 678 from DMT to CAP? I've heard that a modem set up for DMT can be flashed with a different BIOS... but I'm foggy on what that is or how it might be done.

Anyone know?

André

8. complex

complex

i've never used either of those modems personally (verizon used either efficient, westell, of 3com modems), but i've researched the possibilities.

the 675 is cap only. it can never be flashed to support dmt.

the 678 can be flashed to support either dmt or cap. the step-by-step instructions and bios bin files for doing so can be found at http://www.iaxs.net/dsl/support/

warning: this change is not meant for the average consumer. it requires a special cable (a 9-pin serial console cable. it has 9 pins on one end and an ethernet jack on the other end). however, with this cable, i think most people comfortable with computers could do it.

complex

9. Here's a site that has a lot of info on DSL/Broadband etc...

SpeedGuide

10. here is an even better site...

DSLreports

#10     Jun 9, 2003