Dry Feet

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Typhoon, Jun 21, 2005.

1. dchang0

dchang0

Actually, when I first started trading, I *did* make money. I doubled my initial investment in under two years. Looking back, I realize that I did everything right at that time:

1) I studied and studied, reading books on psychology, trading system development/testing/optimization, trading methodologies, technical analysis, and fundamental analysis. I read I think around twenty or twenty five books on the subjects.

2) I paper-traded and watched charts for more than a year, testing my ideas and developing them into full-fledged systems or methodologies.

3) I absolutely didn't trade until after I had sufficient proof that I would turn a profit.

Lately, I lost most of my account when I switched to futures from stocks. I had gotten lazy and overconfident with my success at stock-trading and simply didn't do the things I spoke of as being so important.

My best system was easy: scan through a list of recent high-performing stocks (usually gotten from the news or websites).
    My programs would run a mechanical system on each stock's chart of daily OHLC bars and select the ones that were in tight consolidation just after rapid movement. All I had to do was put a long bracket on top and a short bracket underneath to catch the inevitable explosion out of the consolidation, and voila, I'd invariably make small but steady money (about $250 on a $3000 position, over the course of 2 weeks per position).

To those in the know, I was basically trading a straddle but using the underlying stocks instead of options. That way, I could avoid the nasty loss of time value that option traders face and have an essentially unlimited amount of time until the long or short bracket triggers a position entry.

That's it! I tell people my system freely because what I use has been common knowledge for years. Besides, I know that even if they use it, they may or may not actually succeed at using it thanks to the more important factors of psychology and process.

#11     Jun 21, 2005
  2. ozzy

ozzy

Just jump in and get your feet wet. That's what I did. It'll put some hair on your chest. I've become a walking gorilla after everything I've been through.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Good Luck

ozzy

#12     Jun 21, 2005
  3. =======
    Typhoon;
    Like technicals more & liquid stocks more, however;
    still mostly in harmony with William O'Neill CAN SLIM/book.:cool:

And while i prefer stair stepping volume, also;
    lots of observation time, study,recording prices focus on a few stocks /ETFs seems to help even more.

Buying at right area may eneble to cut some losses below 7%;
    certainly do aim for less than that, NYSE.

#13     Jun 22, 2005
  4. Typhoon

Typhoon

Murray t turtle,
    How does stair stepping volume work?
    Thanks

#14     Jun 22, 2005