Drug testing to get welfare

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaptainObvious, Mar 8, 2012.

1. strawman argument. you dont have a right to drive impaired.

#21     Mar 9, 2012
  2. +1 - yep, that pretty much sums it up. The proverbial slippery slope. More like an inquisition if you see gov't sticking needles into our bodies or taking urine samples.

I don't do drugs either, but I like a drink now and then, are they going to test me for booze if I want to enter the trading floor? If they did, we would have no one on the NYSE exchange working.

c

#22     Mar 9, 2012
  3. would you want the guy flying the plane that is flying a family member tested? how about the doctor who is about to operate on you? how about the guard that is guarding the exchange from terrorist activity?
    human nature being what it is there is only one effective deterrent. fear of being caught.

#23     Mar 9, 2012
  4. Obviously you don't even know what a strawman argument is: FYI it was a very good analogy of your premise that the best way to prevent a crime is to have unlimited random searches by police . I just extended the location from a person's personal property of a car to his home. same difference none

#24     Mar 9, 2012
  5. Right, my point is that 'testing' would show use of alcohol perhaps, but not impairment in most cases. But, yes, I think professionals can/should monitor themselves, but also yes, the 'fear' of being caught is a deterrent. A bit 'flip floppy' in my review of what I've said, but I think you get my point.

c

#25     Mar 9, 2012
  6. DUI is a completely different issue. Should someone suspected if driving under the influence be given a test? Absolutely! Should someone showing up for work under the influence be sent for a test. Yes! Someone has an accident on the job sent for testing? You bet! But a drug test just to get the damn job? Nonsense!
    You want to start testing everyone who get's government money? Well, I got a long list for ya' and it starts in the corporate boardrooms, and extends to every single member of our government, top to bottom. These people are making life and death decisions, and they're doing it on our nickel. Financial institutions making decisions with our money that can have a huge impact on our lives. I think we have the right to know if they're clean and sober, or not. How's about that? That's what I thought! You can't just pick and choose. Test one, test all.

#26     Mar 9, 2012
  7. America was built on its citizens Drinking while traveling. The workers who built your homes and the building you shop at were built by workers who drank a beer on the way home. The bankers and industrial giants who started the great industrial revolution were drinking on their travels. Is the demise of America any surprise, it started with the neo nazi group MADD. Before the crack down on drinking and driving in America we were a great country with a strong work ethic, since the crack we have began a downward spiral as a country.

#27     Mar 10, 2012
  8. + my Bud Jack.

#28     Mar 10, 2012
  9. here is why thinking people dont want illegal mind altering drugs legalized. if you are stupid enough to put poison in your body you probably are stupid enough to drive impaired.

"The explosion of medical marijuana patients has led to a lot of drivers sticking the (marijuana) card in law enforcement's face, saying, `You can't do anything to me, I'm legal,'" said Sean McAllister, a lawyer who defends people charged with driving under the influence of marijuana.

Read more: http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/na...8eb-5ac3-8b96-7ea23bfdab60.html#ixzz1plXEolYU

#29     Mar 21, 2012

10. In unrelated news, sales of detox kits in the state are up 5,000%

#30     Mar 21, 2012