Drug testing to get welfare

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaptainObvious, Mar 8, 2012.

1. At first blush sounds like a great idea, but what slippery slope are we sliding down? Best give this some thought, especially those that proclaim to want small government.

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Adults applying for welfare in Georgia would have to pass a drug test before receiving benefits under a bill approved by the state Senate late on Wednesday.

The legislation, called the Social Responsibility and Accountability Act, is designed to ensure that welfare payments, called Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, are not diverted to illicit drug use."

The legislation, which now goes to the Georgia House, would not affect welfare payments to children. Under the bill, if a parent failed a drug test, children could still receive payments through another person designated by the state.

Two states, Michigan and Florida, have adopted similar legislation, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. The Michigan Court of Appeals in 2003 ruled that state's law unconstitutional. Florida's law has been temporarily blocked by a federal lawsuit.

2. http://www2.tbo.com/news/politics/2...ting-yields-2-percent-positive-res-ar-252458/

Welfare drug-testing yields 2% positive results

By CATHERINE WHITTENBURG | The Tampa Tribune
    Published: August 24, 2011

TALLAHASSEE --

Since the state began testing welfare applicants for drugs in July, about 2 percent have tested positive, preliminary data shows.

Ninety-six percent proved to be drug free -- leaving the state on the hook to reimburse the cost of their tests. [/B]

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

How is this in any way a bad thing?

4. It's all good until they require drug testing for something you think is silly. It's another way government intrudes into our lives. I don't want drug testing for welfare. I want a, can this lazy mofo go get a job test. I want a, this broad already has 5 kids and here she is again with another, we're cutting her off test. I want a, this guy drives a BMW and lives in a North Shore Condo so WTF is he doing on welfare test.

5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I don't do drugs, therefore I don't care who tests me for drugs. But in this particular case, if you're going to expect a government payment because you are in poverty, then you should be required to prove compliance with the law. I see nothing wrong with it.

It's not like they're saying that everyone who gets welfare has to prove they have a good singing voice.

6. i think its a good idea. if you are on welfare you shouldnt be on drugs.
    i would not stop there. i would test when getting a drivers license, when getting a job, anytime you have an accident, when you get a gun permit and i would support setting up roadblocks for random testing.
    my state does random road checks for drunk driving and i support it 100%. why not drugs too?

7. Myself I think drugs should be legal , welfare illegal and this nonsense makes me want to open a drug testing company and bid as a minority owner $$$.

8. myself i think drugs should be illegal and i want people like you off our roads.

9. Crispy

Crispy

Apparently the only "free" thing about you is your ET nick, eh?

Random road side drug tests have to be one of the dumbest ideas I have read on this site.

Would you support a random road side test for US citizenship?

Cause once you start tapping blood or taking piss cups on the side of the road you have entered into the realm of totalitarianism and it wont stop there.

The road to hell is paved with good intent...

10. i think the people of arizona said yes to this one already.

#10     Mar 9, 2012