Drug Cartels terrorists now?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cuddles, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

Does that mean street peddlers get enhanced interrogations and stripped of their rights again?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ican-drug-cartels-as-terrorists-idUSKBN1Y02NJ

Trump says U.S. will designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorists

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said in an interview aired on Tuesday that he will designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorists over their role in drug and human trafficking.

“They will be designated ... I have been working on that for the last 90 days. You know, designation is not that easy, you have to go through a process, and we are well into that process,” Trump said in an interview with conservative media personality Bill O’Reilly that aired on Tuesday.

Mexico aims for meeting with U.S. over designation of cartels
    Once a group is designated as a terrorist organization, under U.S. law it is illegal for people in the United States to knowingly offer support and its members cannot enter the country and may be deported. Financial institutions that become aware they have funds connected to the group must block the money and alert the U.S. Treasury Department.

Mexico’s government did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Mexico’s foreign minister, Marcelo Ebrard, said on Monday he did not expect the United States to make such a move.

Earlier this month, Trump, in a tweet, offered to help Mexico “wage WAR on the drug cartels and wipe them off the face of the earth.”

The proposal came after nine Americans were killed in an ambush in northern Mexico.

Mexican authorities said they may have been victims of mistaken identity amid confrontations among drug gangs in the area.

But the LeBaron extended family, members of a breakaway Mormon community that settled in northern Mexico decades ago, has often been in conflict with drug traffickers in Chihuahua and victims’ relatives said the killers must have known who they were targeting.

2. vanzandt

vanzandt

That's a pretty big deal actually. It changes all the rules. Everything from freezing bank accounts to crossing borders. Interesting.
    Tbh... It should have been done way before Trump took over. He'll get no credit of course... I'll let the MSM inform me as to why this is a terrible thing.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1189&num=0&edition=prelim

3. Wallet

Wallet

4. WeToddDid2

WeToddDid2

Yeah, that is exactly what that means and what will happen. lol

5. Overnight

Overnight

Well, why not? Why would street peddlers getting some hard treatment be a bad thing?

6. Cuddles

Cuddles

define street peddler terrorist? black inner city kid slinging dope? Pot bro in west coast? Trailer trash in Appalachia? Or only Spanish speaking brown folk?

Seems like the definition of words don't matter anymore either. At this point those in agreement are willing to forego due process, unless you're a GOP politician.

one thing's certain, contractors are seeing green tonight

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  7. Overnight

Overnight

You seem to have a lackadaisical attitude of drug traffickers. Because that is what "street peddlers" are.

*sniffs* If you do not think street peddlers are bad and worthy of strong treatment, than I am sure you will never call the police when they are dealing in front of your house. I am also sure you will invite them into your home for a holiday meal. Let them stay over for the night.

8. Cuddles

Cuddles

You mistake me as someone who'd advocate law breaking. Which offsite vigilantism to bypass due process is. See, I want to see Trump in jail for his crimes, not waterboarded and sleep deprived in Cuba.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...baeefa-10b7-11ea-bf62-eadd5d11f559_story.html
    Arturo Sarukhan, a former Mexican ambassador to the United States, said that Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama had also considered designating Mexican drug lords or cartels as terrorists. “When they realized the economic and trade implications it would have on U.S.-Mexican ties, they backed down,” he said in a telephone interview.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  9. DTB2

DTB2

Of course they did, it's what they do regarding the border.

Mexico appeared to be caught off-guard by Trump’s announcement. On Monday, Ebrard said Mexico “would never accept” that its criminal groups be designated as terrorists by the U.S. government, because “this invokes a disposition to act in a direct manner.”

I believe they also weren't going to help secure their Northern and Southern borders. Voila.

Bush and Obama backed down on that too, the list is long.

10. vanzandt

vanzandt

Yeah its not the last we've heard of this yet, there's certainly going to be a fine line there. I'm not 100% sure what all this entails within our border, but I suspect it will open the door to an exponential expansion of domestic policing powers and you know what that means... it will be ripe for abuse. Stop and frisk will look like the "good ol' days". We'll see what happens, but I bet the ACLU is going to have quite a bit to say about this depending on its ramifications domestically. The slippery slope just got a lot slicker. And you are 100% right... there are contractors out there seeing lots more green.

#10     Nov 27, 2019
    Cuddles likes this.