Drug based economy. Why not?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Feb 16, 2010.

1. LeeD

LeeD

That's what they have in Afganistan... except farmers prefer poppies. Judge for yourself if it has made a peaceful prosperous nation.

#11     Feb 16, 2010
  2. the pharmaceutical industry does not approve

#12     Feb 16, 2010
  3. Stay off the drugs kids or it will lead you down the dark path of supply side economics.

[​IMG]

Larry Kudlow, Cokehead

#13     Feb 17, 2010
  4. Yeah, get everyone hooked on pot and other drugs so that they're too f*cked up to show up for work.... good bye productivity.

Bunch of brainless morons some of you are......

#14     Feb 17, 2010
  5. Why would other countries pay 50 bucks for an american 8th of pot? You know you can buy half a pound of pot in columbia for 30 bucks? A kilo of cocaine runs about $1500. (as low as $800 if you buy it directly from the manufacturer) A single gram on the streets of columbia can be had for 3 bucks. No way american farmers can sell that cheap and no way street dealers would waste their time for something if they are only making a buck per transaction (or less). If it was legalized prices would plummet too,so it might get even cheaper. (Well cocaine wont because of the cost of materials to make it, but it could get to columbia prices) But pot would get insanely cheap and like the other guy said. Nobody would show up to work. Productivity would be zero.

#15     Feb 17, 2010
  6. Uh, dumbass, in case you hadn't noticed, the percentage of the population that frequently uses recreational drugs is already pretty significant and has been so for possibly 40 years now.

I do have to admit that it is somewhat ironic that some 20 something douchebag named "southbeach4me" is the teetotaler on the thread.

#16     Feb 17, 2010
  7. I don't know, I see a lot of problem alcoholics rewarded in the workplace, while the recreational pot users are fired, or never even hired, for failing drug tests. This doesn't include all the tobacco smokers lost productivity and health care costs.

#17     Feb 17, 2010
  8. I think that the legalization of all drugs would be more damaging to the society as a whole and the tax benefits would not outweigh the damage. However I do beleive that marijuana should be decriminalized, and the government should open production for legal marjuana and tax it heavily. Alcohol was illegal during prohibition, but is legal now and is a steady source of income for the government. Alcohol causes thousands and thousands of deaths every year, however effects of marijuana has no recorded deaths. Why not legalize and tax something that is less harmful or dangerous like marijuana?

#18     Feb 17, 2010
  9. Moronic........, hmm, so by your logic because alcohol is legal everyone shows up drunk right? Prohibition in the early 1900's was a joke, it made men like Al Capone rich, that's all.

Alcohol is legal in both the US and Russia. In Russia they have a serious problem with alcoholism compared to the US. So the fact it's legal doesn't mean everyone is a drunk.

Do you mean to tell me you have never known a person that did cocaine or pot? Did those people show up to work intoxicated? Probably not as most that drink don't show up drunk in the US. Most are recreational users whether it alcohol or drugs.

Let's take it a step further. Prostitution is illegal in the US, except for parts of Nevada. It's legal in Amsterdam, in the red light district. Both countries has pros, one tests for HIV and the other takes the moral high ground and pretends its not a problem. I would much prefer they are off the street in business and tested regularly.

#19     Feb 17, 2010
  10. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

fyi this is already under trial in several s. american countries, with americans being the target customer base. unfortunately it doesnt seem to be doing their deficits much good.

and before anyone says 'oooh thats cos drugs arent legal down there' think again. although it may not be 'officially' legal, the governments are pretty corrupt and turn a blind eye.

google route 66 - a bar in bolivia.

#20     Feb 17, 2010